Strengthening Aluminum (casting mix)

• Thread starter Curl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminum
In summary, adding iron to aluminum scraps will make the mixture harder and less gummy. It also suggests cooling the mixture quickly after casting to prevent two phases from forming.
Curl
I want to cast a part out of Aluminum (from scraps). Is there anything I can throw into the melt mix to make it come out stronger (not as gummy and soft) ??

Some sort of ceramic I'm thinking? Very fine sand-like stuff (e.g. CaCO3)?

Any suggestions for heat treatment too? The part will be a shell-type housing, needs to be strong and stiff.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Good stuff.

So if I add some Iron to the mix, how should I cool in order to keep a homogeneous (as close as I can) mixture after hardening. I don't want to form a distinct two phase composite, as I suspect it will lead to crack formation.

What is it talking about here:
"The solubility of iron in the solid state is very low (~0.04%) and therefore, most of the iron present in aluminum over this amount appears as an intermetallic second phase in combination with aluminum and often other elements."

What kind of aluminum scraps are you using? If it's pure aluminum, you can add the components necessary to form a higher-strength alloy like 6061 or 7075. Then after casting, you can apply a heat treat like -T6 or -T651 to get the most stength you can out of it.

If its a mix of different aluminum alloys you don't know, well you'll basically be stuck with what you get...

It is most likely going to be 6061 heat treated aluminum scraps.

And how should the heat treatment go in order to get highest strength? I remember doing this in a lab at some point but I forgot it completely.

Solution heat treat at 990 F for adequate time to allow for thorough heating and then water quench. Precipitation hardening is done at 320 F for 18 hours and air cool, followed by 350 F for 8 hours and air cooling.

Its easy to find by googling 6061 heat treatment.

1. How can I strengthen aluminum casting mix?

To strengthen aluminum casting mix, you can add alloying elements such as copper, magnesium, or zinc. You can also use heat treatment processes like solution heat treatment and artificial aging.

2. What is the purpose of strengthening aluminum casting mix?

Strengthening aluminum casting mix is important because it improves the mechanical properties of the final product, making it stronger and more durable. This is especially important for industrial and structural applications.

3. Can I use any type of aluminum for casting?

No, not all types of aluminum are suitable for casting. Generally, aluminum alloys with higher silicon and magnesium content are preferred for casting because they have better fluidity and solidification characteristics.

4. How do I know if my aluminum casting mix is strong enough?

You can test the strength of your aluminum casting mix using mechanical tests such as tensile, yield, and hardness tests. These tests will give you an idea of the strength and durability of your casting mix.

5. Are there any disadvantages to strengthening aluminum casting mix?

One potential disadvantage of strengthening aluminum casting mix is that it can increase the cost and complexity of the casting process. Additionally, some alloying elements may reduce the corrosion resistance of the final product.