Stefan-Boltzmann law question (astronomy)

In summary, in about 6X10^7 y, the sun will be a red giant star with a temperature 1/2 its present value and a radius 100 times larger. The luminosity of the red giant star will decrease compared to its current value. Given this change in luminosity, the Earth's temperature will change, assuming that the energy absorbed by the Earth is equal to the energy emitted by the sun. If the Earth's temperature is currently 300K, it will change when the sun is a red giant star.
lk31

Homework Statement

in about 6X10^7 y from now, the sun will be a red giant star with a temperature 1/2 its present value and a radius 100 times larger.
a) what will be the luminosity of the red giant sun be compared to its current value?
b) assume that the new luminosity gives you the change in energy absorbed by the earth, and that the Earth is a black body. how much hotter or cooler will the Earth be?
c) if the temperature of the Earth is 300K now, what will be its termperature when the sun is a red giant star?

Homework Equations

E= (5.67x10^-8)(T^4)= Luminosity/(4*pi*r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i figured out part a, but then for question b, i don't really understand what they mean by the new luminosity is the change in energy? how can it be the CHANGE? do they mean the delta of the luminosities?
anyhow, any help/explanation would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Some of the sun's light is absorbed by the earth. The luminosity of the sun (in addition to other factors) determines how much light. They are just asking how much the temperature of Earth will change from the given change in luminosity---you'll have to make a few assumptions.

Does that help?

thank you for your reply, much appreciated.

The only way I can see how this question would work is if I assume that the energy absorbed by the Earth is equal to the energy emitted by the sun.
Then I can use the sun's initial luminosity and the red giant luminosity, plug the values into the equation E= Luminosity/(4*pi*r^2) to get two separate energy values. Then I can plug the two energy values into the equation E= (5.67x10^-8)(T^4) to obtain two temperature values for the Earth (again making an assumption that the amount of energy absorbed by Earth = amount of energy emitted by earth). but then it means that the amount of energy emitted by the sun is equal to the amount of energy emitted by the earth, which does not make sense to me, so is my initial assumption incorrect? i.e. that the energy emitted by the sun = energy absorbed by the earth?

any help is appreciated, thank you.

You're on the right track Ik31. Just keep in mind that the luminosity of the sun is emitted in all directions, while the Earth only occupies a small portion of the sky (from the Sun's perspective).

okay thank you, i really appreciate all of your help!

Related to Stefan-Boltzmann law question (astronomy)

1. What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the temperature and the total amount of radiation emitted by a blackbody, which is an ideal object that absorbs and emits all radiation that falls on it. It states that the total power radiated per unit surface area of a blackbody is directly proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

2. Who discovered the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law was derived independently by Josef Stefan in 1879 and Ludwig Boltzmann in 1884. However, it was named after both scientists and is also known as the Stefan-Boltzmann law of radiation.

3. How is the Stefan-Boltzmann law used in astronomy?

In astronomy, the Stefan-Boltzmann law is used to calculate the luminosity of celestial bodies such as stars and planets. By measuring the amount of radiation emitted by an object and knowing its temperature, we can use the Stefan-Boltzmann law to determine its luminosity, which is a crucial factor in understanding the properties and evolution of these objects.

4. What are the limitations of the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law assumes that the object in question is a perfect blackbody, which does not exist in reality. Therefore, the law is only an approximation and may not accurately predict the radiation emitted by a real object. Additionally, the law does not take into account factors such as the object's composition, surface properties, and atmospheric effects, which can affect its emission of radiation.

5. Can the Stefan-Boltzmann law be applied to non-blackbody objects?

Yes, the Stefan-Boltzmann law can be applied to non-blackbody objects by using the concept of emissivity, which is a measure of how well an object emits radiation compared to a blackbody at the same temperature. By multiplying the Stefan-Boltzmann constant by the object's emissivity, we can calculate the total power radiated by a non-blackbody object.