Bird's speed relative to person on ground

In summary, a bird is flying at a velocity of 57.0 mph relative to a person standing on the ground if the bird is flying from west to east relative to the air, with the wind blowing at 35.0 mph from west to east. This is calculated by adding the bird's velocity of 22.0 mph relative to the air to the wind's velocity of 35.0 mph.
maff is tuff

Homework Statement

The wind is blowing from west to east at 35.0 mph, and a bird in that wind is flying at 22.0 mph relative to the air.

What is the magnitude of the velocity of this bird relative to a person standing on the ground if the bird is flying from west to east relative to the air?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the wording is messing me up. When they say "air" does that mean wind? If so here's my attempt:

If the wind is going 35mph with respect to the ground (I assume) and the bird is going 22mph with respect to the wind. Doesn't that just mean the bird is going 57mph with respect to the ground? I think I am wrong because I think I assumed things to be true. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wind ==> air, so your assumptions are okay.

That bird's going to have a tough time getting back to where it started from! It might have to walk home.

lol true

1. What is the average speed of birds in flight compared to a person on the ground?

The average speed of a bird in flight is about 30 miles per hour, while a person on the ground typically walks at a speed of 3-4 miles per hour. This means that the bird is about 7-10 times faster than a person on the ground.

2. Can birds fly faster than a person can run?

Yes, most birds can fly much faster than a person can run. In fact, some birds such as falcons can reach speeds of over 200 miles per hour when diving.

3. How does the speed of a bird's flight compare to its walking speed?

The speed of a bird's flight is significantly faster than its walking speed. Most birds can fly at least 3-4 times faster than they can walk.

4. Do different types of birds have different speeds in flight?

Yes, different bird species have varying speeds in flight. For example, larger birds like eagles and vultures tend to fly slower than smaller birds like hummingbirds.

5. Can a bird's speed vary depending on its surroundings?

Yes, a bird's speed can be affected by various factors such as wind speed, air density, and obstacles in its flight path. For example, a bird may fly faster if there is a strong tailwind pushing it forward, or slower if it is flying against a headwind.