What angle should the bird head?

In summary, Canada geese can migrate up to thousands of kilometers at speeds of 100 km/h, but when facing a 34 km/h wind from west to east, the bird should head at an angle of about 19.9 degrees relative to the north-south direction to travel directly southward relative to the ground. This involves using vector calculations and considering the angle of the wind.
Junjou

Homework Statement

Canada geese migrate essentially along a north-south direction for well over a thousand kilometers in some cases, traveling at speeds up to about 100 km/h. The one goose is flying at 100 km/h relative to the air but a 34 km/h wind is blowing from west to east.

At what angle relative to the north-south direction should this bird head to travel directly southward relative to the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Set it up the following way and got about 70.1, subtracted that from 90 and got 19.9. Can somebody check my work to make sure I did it correctly?
BF2LJ9Z.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know anything about vectors?

We're currently learning vectors right now, but I've been struggling with it because of angles and the mess of formulas. I'm just not sure how to place the vector for the 100 km/h bird.

Looks like you got it.

Just in case you have to enter this in a computer or something: they ask for the angle wrt north-south, not for the angle wrt west...

I thought a flight speed of 100 km/h for a Canada goose was preposterous, until I looked it up... :))

What angle should the bird head?

The angle of a bird's head can vary depending on the species and the specific situation. There is no one definitive angle that applies to all birds.

What is the purpose of a bird's head angle?

The angle of a bird's head serves different purposes for different species. In general, it helps with balance, stability, and maneuvering in flight.

Can a bird change the angle of its head?

Yes, birds have the ability to change the angle of their head. This is important for them to maintain visual focus and adjust their position while flying.

What factors influence a bird's head angle?

The primary factors that influence a bird's head angle include the bird's species, the position of its body, and the direction it is flying in. Other factors such as wind speed and prey location can also play a role.

How does head angle affect a bird's vision?

A bird's head angle can greatly affect its vision. By changing the angle, a bird can expand its field of view, focus on a specific target, and maintain visual contact with its surroundings.