Register to reply

Conserved angular momentum: finding angular velocities of drums as a function of time

Share this thread:
Order
Jun19-11, 02:23 PM
P: 97
Here is a problem I spent my sunday trying to solve. I made progress, but still something is wrong.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A drum of mass MA and radius a rotates freely with initial angular velocity [tex]\omega_{A}(0).[/tex] A second drum with mass MB and radius b>a is mounted on the same axis and is at rest, although it is free to rotate. A thin layer of sand with mass MS is distributed on the inner surface of the smaller drum. At t=0 small perforations in the inner drum are opened. The sand starts to fly out at a constant rate [tex]\lambda[/tex] and sticks to the outer drum. Find the subsequent angular velocities of the two drums [tex]\omega_{A}[/tex] and [tex]\omega_{B}.[/tex] Ignore the transit time of the sand.
Ans. clue. If [tex]\lambda t = M_{B}[/tex] and b=2a then [tex]\omega_{B}=\omega_{A}(0)/8[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{dL}{dt}=0[/tex]

[tex]L=mr^{2}\omega[/tex]
3. The attempt at a solution

I begin by looking at the angular momentum of the inner drum: [tex]L_{A}(t)=(M_{A}+M_{S}-\lambda t)a^{2}\omega_{A}(t)[/tex] and at a later time [tex]L_{A}(t+\Delta t)=(M_{A}+M_{S}-\lambda (t+\Delta t))a^{2}\omega_{A}(t+\Delta t)+\lambda \Delta t a^{2}\omega_{A}(t).[/tex] Taking the limit and dividing by dt gives [tex]\frac{dL_{A}}{dt}=(M_{A}+M{S}-\lambda t)a^{2}\frac{d\omega_{A}}{dt}-\omega_{A}\lambda a^{2}=0.[/tex] This is a differential equation which can be solved by switching a little to give
[tex]\omega_{A}=\omega_{A}(0)\frac{M_{A}+M_{S}}{M_{A}+M_{S}-\lambda t}[/tex]
I think this might be right.

However, the second part I am not so sure of. First of all some energy is lost when the sand falls in partly perpendicular to the surface of the outer drum. One can show that a fraction a/b of the momentum survives and the rest becomes heat. Therefore the angular momentum of the outer drum at time t will be [tex]L_{B}(t)=(\lambda t + M_{B})b^{2}\omega_{B}(t)+b\frac{a}{b}a\omega_{A} \lambda \Delta t,[/tex] where the second term is the incoming sand losing some mechanical energy. At a later time [tex]L_{B}(t)=(\lambda (t+\Delta t) + M_{B})b^{2}\omega_{B}(t+\Delta t).[/tex] Taking the limit and dividing by dt gives [tex]\frac{dL_{B}}{dt}=(\lambda t+M_{B})b^{2}\frac{d\omega_{B}}{dt}+\lambda(\omega_{B}b^{2}-\omega_{A}(0)a^{2}\frac{M_{A}+M_{S}}{M_{A}+M_{S}-\lambda t})=0[/tex] This is a linear differential equation which can be solved to give [tex]\omega_{B}(t)=\omega_{A}(0)\frac{a^{2}}{b^{2}}\ln \lgroup \frac{M_{A}+M_{S}}{M_{A}+M_{S}-\lambda t}\rgroup \frac{M_{A}+M_{S}}{M_{B}+\lambda t}[/tex]
This is not in accordance with the clue, nor with my answer sheet that says [tex]\omega_{B}=\omega_{A}(0)\frac{a^{2}(M_{A}+M_{S}-\lambda t)}{b^{2}(M_{B}+\lambda t)}[/tex]
Please tell me if something is unclear.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
RTW69
Jun20-11, 12:26 AM
P: 374
Isn't your first differential equation dWa/Wa=lambda*dt/(Ma+Ms-lambda*t)?
Order
Jun20-11, 02:40 PM
P: 97
Quote Quote by RTW69 View Post
Isn't your first differential equation dWa/Wa=lambda*dt/(Ma+Ms-lambda*t)?
Yes it is [tex]\frac{d\omega_{A}}{\omega_{A}}=\lambda \frac{dt}{M_{A}+M_{S}-\lambda t}[/tex] This leads to [tex]\ln \omega_{A}=-\ln (M_{A}+M_{S}-\lambda t)+C[/tex] which leads to my equation stated in original post.

However I think that the angular momentum of the inner drum might be constant. This is because now looking closer at my equations LA(t) and LA(t+delta*t) I get a sign difference. [tex]L_{A}(t+\Delta t)-L_{A}(t)=(M_{A}+M_{S}-\lambda t)a^{2}(\omega_{A}(t+\Delta t)-\omega_{A}(t))+\lambda a^{2}\Delta t(\omega_{A}(t)-\omega_{A}(t+\Delta t))[/tex] Now the second term in this equation becomes zero when taking the limit, so [tex](M_{A}+M_{S}-\lambda t)a^{2}\frac{d\omega_{A}}{dt}=0[/tex] with the only solution that the angular momentum is constant.

Now putting this into the differential eguation for the second drum [tex]\frac{d\omega_{B}}{dt}+\frac{\lambda}{\lambda t+M_{B}}\omega_{B}=\omega_{A}(0)\frac{a^{2}}{b^{2}}\frac{\lambda}{\lamb da t+M_{B}},[/tex] with the solution [tex]\omega_{B}(t)=\omega_{A}(0)\frac{a^{2}}{b^{2}} \frac{\lambda t}{\lambda t+M_{B}}[/tex] This is correct according to the answer clue but not according to my answer sheet. Do you think this might be right? Will a drum losing mass have a constant angular momentum?

Register to reply