Integral challenges physics beyond Einstein

In summary, ESA's Integral gamma-ray observatory has placed stringent new limits on the size of quantum 'grains' in space, showing them to be at a level of 10^-48 m or smaller. This affects theories such as Horava Gravity and CDT, but does not contradict theories like LQG, which have a Lorentz invariant formulation.
stevebd1
Insights Author
Gold Member
ESA article

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM5B34TBPG_index_0.html"

30 June 2011

'ESA’s Integral gamma-ray observatory has provided results that will dramatically affect the search for physics beyond Einstein. It has shown that any underlying quantum ‘graininess’ of space must be at much smaller scales than previously predicted.

Einstein’s General Theory of Relativity describes the properties of gravity and assumes that space is a smooth, continuous fabric. Yet quantum theory suggests that space should be grainy at the smallest scales, like sand on a beach.
One of the great concerns of modern physics is to marry these two concepts into a single theory of quantum gravity.

Now, Integral has placed stringent new limits on the size of these quantum ‘grains’ in space, showing them to be much smaller than some quantum gravity ideas would suggest...'

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the link stevebd1

Let me quote the interesting part :
"Some theories suggest that the quantum nature of space should manifest itself at the ‘Planck scale’: the minuscule 10-35 of a metre, where a millimetre is 10-3 m.

However, Integral’s observations are about 10 000 times more accurate than any previous and show that any quantum graininess must be at a level of 10-48 m or smaller.
"

If I am right, in literature LQG defines minimal length to be 10-33cm (planck length). So if it is confirmed, that may be the first experimental result against LQG..

I have no idea if ST predicts any minimal length for space. Can anybody tell me ?

isnt it odd that the scale of space time grainess is smaller than the plank scale

I think there is some confusion here, that the ESA article doesn't help to clarify.

Even String Theory has discrete "grains" in Matrix theory versions. However Matrix theory is not Lorentz Violating.

I think what the result shows is, if your model has explicit lorentz violation then that violation must occur below 10^48m (although this length is only mentioned directly in the esa article).

So naive lattice models of space would have to have a finer graininess to be consistent with this result.

Most discrete models don't specify a scale at which lorentz violation would occur,so not sure if the result is that useful.

Sounds to me like this might relate to claims by Smolin and others a while back that LQG made definite predictions about the dispersion of the vacuum...? I don't think LQG practitioners believe these days that there is any such prediction.

Horava Gravity would likely be affected by this. And maybe CDT (apparently equiv to Horava gravity anyway).

Unfortunately we have two threads regarding the same topic; so I'll post my comment here as well:

I think the statement
It has shown that any underlying quantum 'graininess' of space must be at much smaller scales than previously predicted
is missleading b/c it suggests that the "grains" themselves must be much smaller - which is not necessarily the case. Instead the effects of these grains need to be much smaller. So if there is a theory which is compatible with Planck-space grains but w/o any violation or deformation of Lorentz invariance at all (like LQG) then this theory remains to be a perfectly valid candidate theory for quantum gravity.

1. What is "Integral challenges physics beyond Einstein"?

"Integral challenges physics beyond Einstein" is a theory proposed by physicist Nassim Haramein that seeks to unify quantum mechanics and general relativity, two of the most fundamental theories in physics. It suggests that the universe is made up of energy and information, rather than matter, and that space-time is a dynamic and interconnected structure.

2. How does "Integral challenges physics beyond Einstein" differ from Einstein's theory of relativity?

Einstein's theory of relativity explains the behavior of objects in the presence of gravity, while "Integral challenges physics beyond Einstein" seeks to unify this theory with quantum mechanics, which explains the behavior of particles at a subatomic level. Additionally, "Integral challenges" suggests that the universe is a dynamic and interconnected system, rather than a static and separate one.

3. What evidence supports "Integral challenges physics beyond Einstein"?

There are several pieces of evidence that support "Integral challenges physics beyond Einstein." One is the observation of black holes, which align with the theory's explanation of gravity as a product of space-time curvature. Another is the behavior of particles at a quantum level, which aligns with the theory's suggestion of an interconnected and information-based universe.

4. How does "Integral challenges physics beyond Einstein" impact current scientific understanding?

If proven to be true, "Integral challenges physics beyond Einstein" would significantly impact our current scientific understanding of the universe. It would provide a more comprehensive and unified explanation of the fundamental forces and structures at play, and potentially open up new avenues for scientific exploration and technological advancements.

5. What are the implications of "Integral challenges physics beyond Einstein" for the future of physics?

If validated, "Integral challenges physics beyond Einstein" could lead to a deeper understanding of the universe and potentially lead to breakthroughs in areas such as space travel, energy production, and communication. It could also drive further research and discoveries in the field of physics, pushing our understanding of the universe to new frontiers.