Finding an equation for the curve created by two pivoting arms.

• Thread starter yugemos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary, the conversation is about a real world problem involving two pivoting arms connected to a triangle, and the goal is to calculate the distance between two points on the triangle as it is forced to turn 180 degrees. The length of the arms can be changed, but the size of the triangle remains constant. The conversation includes diagrams and a request for help in finding a formula or equation to solve the problem.
yugemos
Hi, I have a question I am hoping that someone here can help me out with. I have not been in school for a number of years and I can't remember a lot of my calculus. Now I have a real world problem that I need to solve and wish I could remember it.

There are two pivoting arms (AC and BE) that are connected to two vertices of a triangle CDE. (See attached Diagram 1) The triangle is pushed by a force parallel to the line formed between the ends of the arms A and B. As the triangle moves it is forced to turn 180 degrees because the vertices are attached to the arms. The goal is to have point D of the triangle travel parallel to the line AB, or as close to parallel as possible.

The size of triangle CDE cannot be changed. The length of AC and BE is an approximate size and so it can be changed though it needs to be close to the length given below. The length of AB could be anything.

EC = 12
DC = 7.21
ED = 7.21
ED an DC are rounded off. They were calculated using the Pythagorean Theorem. The distance from vertex D to the line EC is 4.
AC = BE = Approx 24 (+/- 4)
AB = ?

I have attempted to figure out this problem using trial and error on Google Sketchup, but it is very time consuming and I just can't get it close to exact. Diagrams 2 and 3 show the movement of the triangle as the arms pivot.

Can anyone help me out by figuring out a formula to calculate the distance AB? Or possibly an equation for the curve created by the movement of vertex D. If you could even steer me into the right direction that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help with this problem.
If I have posted in the wrong area, please direct me to the correct area to post.

-Yugemos

Attachments

• Diagram 1.png
    Diagram 1.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 485
  • Diagram 2.png
    Diagram 2.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 481
  • Diagram 3.png
    Diagram 3.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, yugemos! :smile:

The simplest method would be to cut the arms out of paper and simply measure up the result.

To calculate, first define a coordinate system.
Say, put A in the origin, take an x-axis to the left, and an y-axis downward (so you will have all positive numbers).

Then define a system of equations based on the unknown coordinates of each point, combined with the known lengths of the rods (using pythagoras).
It's quite a big system I'm afraid, but that will give you your result.
You should be able to find a numerical result reasonably easy, once you have the system of equations.

1. What is the purpose of finding an equation for the curve created by two pivoting arms?

The purpose of finding an equation for the curve created by two pivoting arms is to understand and accurately predict the path or trajectory of the arms as they move. This can be useful in designing machinery or mechanisms that involve pivoting arms, such as robotic arms or swinging doors.

2. How is the equation for the curve created by two pivoting arms determined?

The equation for the curve created by two pivoting arms is determined by analyzing the geometry and motion of the arms. This involves using principles from geometry, trigonometry, and calculus to derive an equation that describes the relationship between the angles and lengths of the arms and the resulting path of the curve.

3. Can the equation for the curve created by two pivoting arms be used for any type of pivoting arm?

No, the equation for the curve created by two pivoting arms is specific to the geometry and motion of the particular arms being analyzed. Different types of pivoting arms will have different equations that describe their curves.

4. Are there any assumptions or limitations in finding the equation for the curve created by two pivoting arms?

Yes, there are some assumptions and limitations in finding the equation for the curve created by two pivoting arms. Some common assumptions include the arms being rigid and the pivot points being fixed. Additionally, the equation may not accurately predict the path of the arms if there is external force or friction involved.

5. How is the equation for the curve created by two pivoting arms useful in practical applications?

The equation for the curve created by two pivoting arms can be useful in practical applications such as designing and controlling robotic arms, calculating the trajectory of projectiles, and understanding the motion of swinging doors. It can also be used in physics and engineering to analyze and solve problems involving pivoting arms.