Motion of rotating rig, find the angle variation with control rod length

In summary: For triangle ABF, since BD is the perpendicular, the angle is given by:θ = arccos(BD)Yes that's right, which should mean that the cosine rule based answer is correct? Out of interest is there a more elegant solution I may have missed?Wouldn't know. With such mixed equations the result may be intrinsically tedious and complicated. To an extent that I personally would leave it to an equation solving algorithm. But perhaps someone else can enlighten us ?
alexm
Homework Statement
Motion of rotating rig, find angle variation with control rod length
Relevant Equations
Trigonometry
Summary:: We have a rotating arm, offset from the centre of rotation by a certain length, which is controlled by varying the length of a control rod. Need the angle of the rotating arm in terms of length of the rod.

mechanics_2.png

The blue line is a fixed column structure. CE and BD form the rotational arm, and AB is the control rod. The control rod and arm are free to rotate at the points shown (either end of the control rod, the join of the arm and the vertical column (AC)).

My question is, can anyone tell me the function that describes theta in terms of d (theta = f(d))? All lengths other than d are fixed and known. theta is the angle the rotational arm makes with the horizontal.

The pink joints show freedom of rotation.
Angle CED is fixed at 90 degrees.
Lengths LBE, LDE, LCE, LCA are also fixed.
When theta is 0, d = d0.
d = LAB and is variable.

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @alexm , :welcome: !
alexm said:
Summary:: We have a rotating arm, offset from the centre of rotation by a certain length, which is controlled by varying the length of a control rod. Need the angle of the rotating arm in terms of length of the rod.

All lengths other than d are fixed and known
Give them symbolic names. Add a ##d_0## for when ##\theta = 0## and do some trigonometry.
Is this professional, or is it homework ?

Hello @BvU

Thanks for your reply :smile:.

It's for university homework if that counts?

Yesterday I got as far as showing that sin2θ + cos2θ = 1 through my trig efforts, so any help would be much appreciated!

alexm said:
I got as far as showing that ##\sin^2\theta + \cos^2\theta = 1##
That is valid for all angles you can think of, so not very sensational... :wink:

We still need the list of names. Name the relevant points, too. Preferably with a drawing.
(note: the ##\Theta## in your picture are confusing. I suppose they mean"this is a pivot point"

Edited the original post, must've been trying to do so as it was moved between forums earlier.

Attachments

• mechanics_2.png
    mechanics_2.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Good. So A is a fixed pivot point. ##\angle## ACE = ##\theta##. So we can concentrate on ABEC with length ##d## as variable.
1583843807351.png

Working backwards from ##\theta## to ##d## is probably the easiest. Write down some equations: for triangle BAF you have three angles and two sides. Should be easy !

What lines are blue or green?

Lnewqban said:
What lines are blue or green?
Apologies they were in the first picture, will change the description.

From triangle CFE:
LEF = LCEtan(θ)
LCF = LCE / cos(θ)
considering lengths:
LBE = LBF + LEF
so:
LBF = LBE - LEF
LBF = LBE - LCEtan(θ)
also:
LAC = LAF + LCF
LAF = LAC - LCE / cos(θ)

Now if we say: β = ∠AFB, using the law of cosines gives:
d2 = LBF2 + LAF2 - 2LBFLAFcos(β)
Which is nearly there apart from knowing β, but I think β + θ = 90o, which would solve this. Is this the case? Or is there something I'm missing on the angles in triangle ABF?

Last edited:
alexm said:
Is this the case?
For you to know:
Picture suggests BD ##\perp## CE

BvU said:
For you to know:
Picture suggests BD ##\perp## CE
Yes that's right, which should mean that the cosine rule based answer is correct? Out of interest is there a more elegant solution I may have missed?

Last edited:
Wouldn't know. With such mixed equations the result may be intrinsically tedious and complicated. To an extent that I personally would leave it to an equation solving algorithm. But perhaps someone else can enlighten us ?

Since BC is a fixed distance, I would start by finding the angle BC makes to the vertical as a function of d.

1. What is the purpose of studying the motion of a rotating rig?

The motion of a rotating rig is studied in order to understand the relationship between the control rod length and the angle variation. This information is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics.

2. How is the angle variation affected by the control rod length?

The angle variation is directly proportional to the control rod length. This means that as the control rod length increases, the angle variation also increases.

3. What factors can affect the motion of a rotating rig?

Several factors can affect the motion of a rotating rig, including the speed of rotation, the weight and shape of the rig, and external forces such as friction and air resistance.

4. How can the angle variation be measured in a rotating rig?

The angle variation can be measured using a protractor or a digital angle measuring tool. The angle can also be calculated using trigonometric functions and the known dimensions of the rig.

5. What practical applications does the study of the motion of a rotating rig have?

The study of the motion of a rotating rig has practical applications in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing. It can also be used to design and optimize machinery and equipment that involve rotational motion.