Linear and angular acceleration, flywheel

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a mass suspended from a flywheel. The question asks for the linear acceleration of the mass, the angular acceleration of the wheel, the tension in the rope, and the frictional torque resisting the motion. The equations provided include a = g[(2m/(M+2m)], v=s/d, w=v/r, T=mg[M/(M+2m)], and I=mk2. The attempt at a solution suggests solving for (a) using a = g[(2m/(M+2m)] and for (b) using angular velocity and angular acceleration. However, the correct approach is to find the linear acceleration from the given distance and time and to use a different formula
alex.daciz

Homework Statement

Hi, I have the following question and was wondering if anyone could help:

A mass of 0.5kg is suspended from a flywheel, of mass 3kg, outside radius 0.3m and radius of gyration 0.212m. If the mass is release from rest and falls a distance of 0.5m in 1.5 seconds, calculate:

(a) The linear acceleration of the mass
(b) The angular acceleration of the wheel
(c) The tension in the rope
(d) The frictional torque resisting the motion

Homework Equations

Equations (I think!); a = g[(2m/(M+2m)] v=s/d w=v/r T=mg[M/(M+2m)] I=mk2

The Attempt at a Solution

I think (although I could be wrong) that (a) can be calculated using a = g[(2m/(M+2m)] where m = 0.5kg, M = 3kg and g = 9.81m/sec2. This would give an answer of 2.45m/sec2, unless I'm being stupid and its as straight forward as acceleration due to gravity = 9.81m/sec2?

For (b) Angular velocity = linear velocity/radius = (0.5/1.5)/0.3 = 1 rad/sec

Therefore, angular acceleration = change in angular velocity/time = (1-0)/1.5 = 0.6 rad/sec2

(c) Does T, tension=mg[M/(M+2m)] = 3.78 N ?

(d) I'm not sure how to approach this one, I know frictional torque = total torque - accelerating torque and moment of inertia and radius of gyration must be included at some point but haven't solved it yet - help!?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi alex! welcome to pf! :wink:
alex.daciz said:
A mass of 0.5kg is suspended from a flywheel, of mass 3kg, outside radius 0.3m and radius of gyration 0.212m. If the mass is release from rest and falls a distance of 0.5m in 1.5 seconds

I think (although I could be wrong) that (a) can be calculated using a = g[(2m/(M+2m)] where m = 0.5kg, M = 3kg and g = 9.81m/sec2.

sorry, but you're starting this completely the wrong way :redface:

find the linear acceleration from "a distance of 0.5m in 1.5 seconds" :smile:

(and your g[(2m/(M+2m)] formula would only work for a uniform disc, which this isn't)

1. What is linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

2. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

3. How are linear and angular acceleration related?

Linear and angular acceleration are related through the radius of rotation. The linear acceleration of an object is equal to the product of its angular acceleration and its distance from the center of rotation.

4. What is a flywheel?

A flywheel is a mechanical device that stores rotational energy and helps to maintain a constant velocity or provide smooth power output in machines. It typically consists of a heavy rotating disk mounted on an axle.

5. How is a flywheel's angular acceleration calculated?

The angular acceleration of a flywheel can be calculated by dividing the torque applied to the flywheel by its moment of inertia. This can be written as alpha = T/I, where alpha is the angular acceleration, T is the torque, and I is the moment of inertia.