How can I apply a unitary transformation to rotate a 3D complex wave function?

In summary, the conversation discusses applying a unitary transformation to rotate a 3D complex wave function with respect to an arbitrary axis. Some suggestions for achieving this include researching the Schrödinger-Bloch equation or using a rotation matrix based on angular momentum operators. The use of an angular momentum eigenbasis may simplify the process.
newshurik
Hello,

I have a 3D complex wave function and I want to apply a unitary transformation to rotate it with respect to arbitrary axis.

Anybody have any ideas how I can do that?

Sasha

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Does your wavefunction have a definite angular momentum, i.e. does it contain a spherical harmonic Ylm? If so, you rotate it using a rotation matrix Dlmm'. See a good book on Angular Momentum such as Edmonds.

Spatial rotations are generated by the angular momentum operators. So the general answer to your request is picking a representation of the angular momentum operators (Lx,Ly,Lz) and evaluating the operator exponential

exp(i*n.L) = exp(i*(nx*Lx+ny*Ly+nz*Lz))

for a vector (nx,ny,nz) that specifies the axis of rotation and the rotation angle by its magnitude.

In an angular momentum eigenbasis that is aligned with n that unitary operator is diagonal. So you might find expanding in that basis to be simpler than evaluating the most general operator exponential.

Cheers,

Jazz

What is a 3D unitary transformation?

A 3D unitary transformation is a mathematical operation that transforms a three-dimensional vector or object into a new position or orientation while preserving the length and angles of the original vector or object. It is often used in computer graphics and physics to manipulate three-dimensional data.

What is the difference between a 3D unitary transformation and a 3D non-unitary transformation?

The main difference between a 3D unitary transformation and a 3D non-unitary transformation is that a unitary transformation preserves the length and angles of the original vector or object, while a non-unitary transformation may change the size or shape of the vector or object.

What are some common applications of 3D unitary transformations?

3D unitary transformations are used in a variety of fields, including computer graphics, robotics, quantum mechanics, and engineering. They are particularly useful for rotating, scaling, and translating three-dimensional objects in 3D modeling and animation software.

How are 3D unitary transformations represented mathematically?

3D unitary transformations can be represented using matrices, which are arrays of numbers that can be multiplied with a vector to produce the transformed vector. These matrices often have special properties, such as being orthogonal or having a determinant of 1, to ensure the transformation is unitary.

What are some limitations of 3D unitary transformations?

One limitation of 3D unitary transformations is that they cannot handle non-linear transformations, such as bending or twisting, without introducing distortion. Additionally, they may not be suitable for certain applications that require more precise control over the transformation, such as medical imaging or molecular modeling.