Intermediate Value Theorem and Rolle's Theorem to show root

by Wessssss
Tags: intermediate, rolle, root, theorem
Share this thread:
Wessssss
Oct27-11, 12:23 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Use the Intermediate Value Theorem and Rolle's Theorem to show that f(x) = 2x-2-cosx has exactly one root.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
I'm not really sure what the question is asking for. the theorems I believe are to prove the existence of a point between a closed interval, but I have no interval, and what does it mean by "one root"

2. Relevant equations

Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
LCKurtz
Oct27-11, 12:37 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 7,581
Quote Quote by Wessssss View Post
Use the Intermediate Value Theorem and Rolle's Theorem to show that f(x) = 2x-2-cosx has exactly one root.

I'm not really sure what the question is asking for. the theorems I believe are to prove the existence of a point between a closed interval, but I have no interval, and what does it mean by "one root"
Hint: Check f(0) and f(pi). And "one root" means the graph touches the x axis only once. And if you find one root, what can you conclude from Rolle's theorem if you have another root?

Register to reply