Circle and Chords intersected by x-axis

• Thread starter AGNuke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circle
In summary, the condition for two chords, each bisected by the x-axis, to be drawn to the given circle is that the y-coordinate of one endpoint must be equal to b/2 and the y-coordinate of the other endpoint must be equal to -b/2. This can be determined using the section formula, which finds the point dividing the distance between two coordinates in a fixed ratio.
AGNuke
Gold Member
Let a circle be given by 2x (x-a) + y(2y-b) = 0; (a≠0, b≠0).

Find the condition on a and b if two chords, each bisected by the x-axis, can be drawn to the circle from (a, b/2)

My attempt in this question is not quite relevant at this moment. I just found that (a,b/2) will lie on circle and the equation of chord being b(x-p) - 2y(a-p) = 0; where (p,0) is the midpoint of a chord.

Further than that, I have no idea what to do... :|

Physics news on Phys.org
If the x-axis bisects the chord, what is the y-coordinate of both of the other endpoints?

One point of the chord, which is present on the circle as well is (a, b/2), which is given, other than that, no relevant info is given.

I'm trying to solve the question in due time and I hope I can solve this question in my second attempt, using entirely new approach.

My point is: The y coordinate of the point midway between (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) is given by [itex]\displaystyle\frac{y_1+y_2}{2}\,.[/itex]

If [itex]\displaystyle\frac{y_1+y_2}{2}=0[/itex] (The y coordinate for any point on the x-axis is zero.), then if y1 = b/2, what is y2 ?

That's the problem, it is not given. But from section formula, it is obvious that it is -b/2

You don't need any formulas! If [itex](y_1+ y_2)/2= 0[/itex] and [itex]y_1= b/2[/itex] then [itex](b/2+ y_2)/2= 0[/itex] so, multiplying through by 2, [itex]b/2+ y_2= 0[/itex] and then [itex]y_2= -b/2.[/itex]

But isn't
gif.latex?\frac{y_{1}+y_{2}}{2}=0.gif
is a Section formula itself?

I don't know what "section" you mean. I would take "[itex](y_1+ y_2)/2= 0[/itex]" as coming from the given information that the x-axis bisects the chord.

Section Formula? To find out the point dividing the distance between two co-ordinates in a fixed ratio either internally or externally.

1. What is the formula for finding the length of a chord intersected by the x-axis?

The formula for finding the length of a chord intersected by the x-axis is 2√(r^2 - x^2), where r is the radius of the circle and x is the distance from the center of the circle to the point of intersection on the x-axis.

2. How do you find the coordinates of the points where a chord intersects the x-axis?

To find the coordinates of the points where a chord intersects the x-axis, you can use the formula (±√(r^2 - x^2), 0), where r is the radius of the circle and x is the distance from the center of the circle to the point of intersection on the x-axis. The plus sign corresponds to the point on the right side of the x-axis and the minus sign corresponds to the point on the left side of the x-axis.

3. What is the relationship between the length of a chord and the distance from the center of the circle to the point of intersection on the x-axis?

The length of a chord is directly proportional to the distance from the center of the circle to the point of intersection on the x-axis. This means that as the distance from the center increases, the length of the chord also increases.

4. Can a chord intersect the x-axis at more than two points?

No, a chord can only intersect the x-axis at two points. This is because a chord is a line segment that connects two points on a circle, and a line can only intersect a given line once at a specific point.

5. How does the length of a chord change as the distance from the center of the circle to the point of intersection on the x-axis approaches the radius?

As the distance from the center of the circle to the point of intersection on the x-axis approaches the radius, the length of the chord also approaches the diameter of the circle. This is because when the distance from the center is equal to the radius, the chord becomes the diameter of the circle, which is the longest possible chord.