Laptop battery as standalone/diy-power source.

In summary, the conversation revolved around the idea of using a laptop battery for energy storage in a portable solar setup. The feasibility and safety of this option were discussed, with the conclusion that it may not be the best choice due to potential energy losses and the complexity of managing the battery. Lead acid batteries were suggested as a more reliable and cost-effective alternative.
magnus83
Hi. I'm investigating the idea of using a laptop battery for energy storage in a portable solar setup. The idea is charging the battery from solar panels, then power/charge other devices from the battery in low light conditions.

I would like to be able to power/charge laptops and usb-devices.
The macbook pro 13" battery is tempting... (60wh, 11v, li-ion)
datasheets on these batteries seem impossible to find...

Is using laptop batteries in this fashion a feasible option? Has this been done before? I can't seem to google anything on it... Are there better alternatives simplicity/capacity/weight?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would advise against laptop battery packs for your project. You can't find data sheets because the battery packs are purpose-built devices. In the case of modern lithium-type packs, using them outside of the design envelope can have serious, and potentially lethal, consequences.

Do you understand that the scenario you present involves cascading energy losses? The initial "backup battery" will retain much less than 100% (probably much less than 90%) of what you feed it (in addition to the losses inherent in the charging circuitry). Then, the battery pack continues to self-discharge as it sits idle. Multiply those losses by however many devices you intend to recharge from the backup battery.

Hello Magnus:

Cost per energy stored - it is still a little hard to beat a lead acid battery. The big benefit of the Li-ion bats is weight and size per energy stored. Since the solar panels are probably stationary - then the battery installation probably is as well.

The key to battery success in energy storage applications is the charging cycle - the Lead Acid is much more forgiving

Most Li-ion batteries have a dedicated charging management circuit that also has a thermal sensor on the battery to prevent overheating.

The Lead Acid is like a work horse - easy to maintain and care for - the Li-Ion is a Thoroughbred - picky eater, and you need to know what you are doing or your will ruin it.

1. Can I use a laptop battery as a standalone power source for my electronic devices?

Yes, you can use a laptop battery as a standalone power source for your electronic devices. However, it is important to note that laptop batteries are not designed to be used as standalone power sources for prolonged periods of time. They are meant to be used as backup power sources for laptops.

2. How long will a laptop battery last as a standalone power source?

The lifespan of a laptop battery as a standalone power source will vary depending on the capacity of the battery, the power consumption of the electronic device, and the usage habits. On average, a laptop battery can provide power for 2-3 hours as a standalone power source.

3. Is it safe to use a laptop battery as a standalone power source?

Yes, it is generally safe to use a laptop battery as a standalone power source. However, it is important to ensure that the battery is properly connected and that the voltage and polarity are compatible with the electronic device. It is also recommended to monitor the battery temperature and usage time to prevent overcharging or overheating.

4. Can I use a laptop battery to power devices that require higher voltage?

No, it is not recommended to use a laptop battery to power devices that require higher voltage. Laptop batteries typically have a voltage range of 10.8-14.4 volts, which may not be sufficient for some devices. Using a voltage converter or adapter may damage the battery or the electronic device.

5. How can I convert a laptop battery into a standalone power source?

To convert a laptop battery into a standalone power source, you will need to purchase a battery enclosure or holder that is compatible with your laptop battery. You will also need to ensure that the enclosure has the necessary ports and connections for your electronic devices. It is recommended to follow a tutorial or seek professional help to ensure proper conversion and safety.