Clamping circuit for electromagnetic wave

by r_rajesh77
Tags: circuit, clamping, electromagnetic, wave
Share this thread:
r_rajesh77
Nov25-11, 06:57 AM
P: 3
Hi,
Im looking for clamping circuit for electromagnetic waves. I have a wave which has amplitude of 5 and -10. is it possible to clamp it to 1 and 0 respectively. I want a positive side clamp to be +1 units and negative side clamp to be 0 units. is it possible to realize using any electromagnetic wave devices like waveguide or so.
Thanks,
Rajesh
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Watching the structure of glass under pressure
New imaging technique shows how cocaine shuts down blood flow in mouse brains
sophiecentaur
Nov25-11, 09:42 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,163
What frequency do you want this to operate on?
For manageable frequencies, AC coupling, followed by a diode connected to Earth (Anode to earth) would limit the negative excursion to -0.7V (less with an appropriate diode) and the positive excursion to 15V (in your example?). You can then use an appropriate resistive divider (or transformer) to reduce the positive value to what you want.

Is this too simplistic a solution? Only, at higher frequencies, signals tend to be AC coupled and do not need to be clamped.
r_rajesh77
Nov25-11, 10:50 AM
Hi sophiecentaur, thanks for the reply. im looking for using microwave. i have an additional requirement. the positive voltage is not fixed at 15v. it can be a variable. in that case what circuit can be used.
Thanks,
Rajesh

sophiecentaur
Nov25-11, 10:55 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,163
Clamping circuit for electromagnetic wave

I have to ask why you need your microwave signal to have a DC component???
r_rajesh77
Nov25-11, 11:09 AM
I was trying to create a comparator circuit and I end up in this scenario. I prefer not to use diodes or transistor, but i can definitely go with resistor divider. my requirement is the signal should clamp to some thing like unit step function. here i'm. looking for solutions.

Register to reply