Infinite Sheet Potential Question

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the potential and electric field between two plates using the electric field strength and potential difference formula. The participants also discuss the importance of considering the presence of two plates in the calculation.
CH1991

Homework Statement

Please check picture below or attachment.

http://i.imgur.com/DayoP.png

DayoP.png

Homework Equations

E=density/2 constant

The Attempt at a Solution

I know, E=density/2 constant, but how do we get potential from eletric field and how do I find it is positive or negative?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 553
Physics news on Phys.org
Recall that the electric field strength is negative gradient of the potential which is equivalent to say the potential difference VA-VB between points A and B is[tex]V_B-V_A=-\int_A^B{E_s ds}[/tex]
Find the electric field between the plates first.

ehild

Yeah,I did find E=density/2 constant as my eletric field, but how do I get potential?
Thanks!

CH1991 said:
Yeah,I did find E=density/2 constant as my eletric field, but how do I get potential?
Thanks!

That is the electric field from the charge distribution of one plate, but you have two plates.

You need the potential difference between the plates.
Have you read my previous post how to get the potential difference?

ehild

You mean #2?
Thanks!

Thank you!

Related to Infinite Sheet Potential Question

1. What is an infinite sheet potential?

An infinite sheet potential is a theoretical model used in physics to describe the electric potential of an infinitely long and infinitely wide charged sheet. It is often used to simplify calculations in electrostatics, as the electric field and potential are constant and independent of position on the sheet.

2. How is an infinite sheet potential different from a point charge potential?

An infinite sheet potential differs from a point charge potential in that the electric field and potential are constant and independent of position on the sheet, whereas in a point charge potential the electric field and potential decrease with distance from the point charge.

3. What is the mathematical equation for an infinite sheet potential?

The mathematical equation for an infinite sheet potential is V = σ/2ε0, where V is the electric potential, σ is the surface charge density, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

4. What are some real-life applications of infinite sheet potentials?

Infinite sheet potentials are often used in the design and analysis of parallel plate capacitors, which are commonly used in electronic circuits. They are also used in the study of the electric fields and potentials of large, flat conductors, such as metal plates and sheets.

5. What are the limitations of using an infinite sheet potential model?

One limitation of using an infinite sheet potential model is that it assumes an infinitely thin and perfectly flat sheet, which may not accurately represent real-world objects. Additionally, this model only applies to situations where the sheet is the only significant source of electric field, and it does not account for the effects of other nearby charges or conductors.