Potential inside a concentric sphere

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the potential at the center of a hollow spherical shell. The suggestion is to use the Poisson equation and take into account that the electric field inside the shell is zero. The solution found involves a summation with constants and the discussion continues about the presence of charges inside the shell.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
n
Relevant Equations
\
1608237510522.png

I am rather confused how to answer this (Please focus on "find the potential at the center"):
I thought that would be a good idea try to answer this with the Poisson equation.
$$\nabla \phi = - \frac{\rho}{\epsilon}$$
So that, since the eletric field inside a hollow spherical shell is zero, the potential at the center is just equal to the potential at R1.
I found this solution
$$\phi = \sum K_{i}(\frac{\rho(R_{2}^2-R^2)}{6 \epsilon} + C(\frac{1}{R_{2}}-\frac{1}{R}))$$

But i have no idea how to go on

Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
since the eletric field inside a hollow spherical shell is zero
Not if there are charges inside the shell.

• Informative
Likes LCSphysicist

1. What is the potential inside a concentric sphere?

The potential inside a concentric sphere is the electric potential at any point within the sphere. It is determined by the charge distribution and the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. How is the potential inside a concentric sphere calculated?

The potential inside a concentric sphere can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

3. Does the potential inside a concentric sphere depend on the size of the sphere?

Yes, the potential inside a concentric sphere is directly proportional to the charge of the sphere and inversely proportional to the distance from the center. Therefore, a larger sphere with the same charge will have a higher potential compared to a smaller sphere.

4. What happens to the potential inside a concentric sphere when the charge is increased?

When the charge of a concentric sphere is increased, the potential inside the sphere also increases. This is because the electric field strength increases, resulting in a higher potential at any given point within the sphere.

5. Can the potential inside a concentric sphere ever be negative?

Yes, the potential inside a concentric sphere can be negative. This occurs when the charge of the sphere is negative, which will result in a negative potential at any point within the sphere. However, the potential at the surface of the sphere will always be zero.