Rolling with no slipping problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem on homework involving a ball rolling down a hillside. The question asks for the minimum coefficient of static friction required for no slipping to occur. The difference between slipping and no slipping is explained, and the condition for rolling without slipping is discussed. Newton's 2nd law is used to solve for the required friction force, and the correct answer is found. The conversation concludes with gratitude for the help provided.
Ianray
This is my first time posting here, and I was hoping someone can help me with a problem on my homework.

A solid ball is released from rest and slides down a hillside that slopes downward at 65degrees from the horizontal. a) What minimum value must the coefficient of static friction between the hill and ball surfaces have for no slipping to occur? b) Would the coefficient of friction calculated in (a) be sufficient to prevent a hollow ball (such as a soccer ball) from slipping? Justify your answer. in part (a), why did we use the coefficient of static friction and not the coefficient of kinetic friction?

This problem just makes absolutely no sense to me, I can do every other one on the homework but I have no idea how to even start this. Also I don't understand what the difference between slipping and no-slipping is? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Slipping means that the surfaces slide against each other--think of a tire leaving a tread mark. No slipping means it rolls but doesn't slide. What's the condition for rolling without slipping?

Hint: First solve for the friction force needed.

Use Newton's 2nd law and the condition for rolling without slipping.

OK, thanks alot, I finally got the right answer, it certainly helped once I knew aR = a when there's no slipping. You're an awesome person for taking the time to help all of us.

1. What is the concept of "rolling with no slipping"?

Rolling with no slipping refers to the motion of a rolling object, such as a wheel or a ball, where the object is both rotating and moving forward without any slipping or sliding. This means that the point of contact between the object and the surface it is rolling on is always at rest, and the object is not losing or gaining any rotational energy.

2. How is "rolling with no slipping" different from regular rolling?

In regular rolling, the object experiences both translational and rotational motion, but there is some slipping or sliding between the object and the surface it is rolling on. In rolling with no slipping, the object is still rotating and moving forward, but without any slipping or sliding, making it a more efficient form of motion.

3. What are the conditions for "rolling with no slipping" to occur?

For "rolling with no slipping" to occur, the point of contact between the object and the surface it is rolling on must be at rest, and there must be no external forces that cause the object to slip or slide. This also requires that the object is rolling on a surface with sufficient friction to prevent slipping.

4. How is the concept of "rolling with no slipping" applied in real life?

"Rolling with no slipping" is a common concept used in engineering and physics, particularly in the design and analysis of wheels, gears, and other rotating objects. It is also used in sports, such as in the motion of a ball rolling on a surface in sports like bowling or billiards.

5. Can an object roll with no slipping on any surface?

No, for an object to roll with no slipping, it must be rolling on a surface with sufficient friction to prevent slipping. If the surface is too slippery, the object will slip or slide instead of rolling with no slipping. Additionally, the surface must be smooth and even to ensure that the point of contact between the object and the surface is always at rest.