Really basic circuit-building help?

• Thread starter Chetlin
  • Start date
In summary: And you want it to be 2 seconds so you need to choose a capacitor that satisfy this equation. In summary, the speaker is experimenting with building circuits and has some questions about using resistors and capacitors in different configurations. They also need help choosing the appropriate resistor and capacitor values for their desired circuit.
Chetlin
Hi everyone,

Unlike a lot of the other threads and people I've seen here, I'm just playing around with trying to build circuits and have some really basic questions. Before I get any further, is that ok for here as well? (like, is it still considered "electrical engineering")

Anyway, I started out like most people do, with the simple LED circuit: battery -> resistor -> LED and that worked fine. I bought some other stuff, intending to play around with it later, and I finally got around to it. One of those things is some thing that I guess has 2 LED's in the same casing, one in each direction. I'm not sure if that's the correct way to describe it, because I'm not completely sure how it works, but it has 2 leads, and if current goes through it in one direction it lights up red and if it goes through it in the other direction it lights up green. It is 30 mA, with voltages of 2.0 V for the red direction and 2.1 V for the green direction. For 6 V of battery, I used a 121 Ω resistor (obtained a number slightly less than that using a couple equations from my E&M class) and it worked fine.

My first question is about what I should do with the resistors when I put it in a circuit that allows the current to change direction using switches. What I have are 2 on-on toggle switches, and if they are both to the left the current will flow one way, and if they are both to the right the current will flow the other way. If there is one in each direction, the batteries will not be in the circuit. When I did this, because I wanted to be safe, I put a 121 Ω resistor on each side of the LED thing. I don't know if it's important for the resistor to always come before the LED first though. I know that in a single loop circuit like this, the current is the same throughout the entire thing, and the resistor lowers the current flowing through the circuit. So if I had this LED, the 6 V of batteries, and resistors, would the circuit still function all the same if I put the resistor so that current flowed battery -> LED -> resistor? What if I used 2 60 Ω resistors and had the current flow as battery -> resistor -> LED -> resistor? I'm afraid that by doing any of the other ways, the LED will get too much voltage, and I don't know if too much voltage will break it like too much current will. If not, then in my other circuit, I can get rid of one of the resistors to make the LED light up brighter, right?

For my second question, let's say I wanted to use a 2-loop circuit with the batteries on the first branch, the capacitor, LED thing and resistors in the middle, and nothing on the bottom, wired up with an on-on toggle switch in such a way that either the top two branches are in the circuit (so basically all components are in the circuit), or that the bottom two branches are in the circuit (excluding the battery, allowing the capacitor to discharge and have current flow in the other direction). First, would this work? Second, how would I choose a capacitor? I remember some equations from E&M class involving capacitors as well, and from what I remember, everything depended on the capacitance of the capacitor and the resistance of the circuit. So let's say I wanted it to take about 2 seconds for the capacitor to charge and discharge, so you are able to watch the LED light up and fade away each time you flip the switch. Is this possible? If so, could you please point me in the direction of some equations to use to find a capacitor to use here (and resistors to use so that the LED doesn't break and the capacitor takes some time to discharge)?

Thank you very much :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
As for your first question. All you need is one resistor. It's really doesn't matter when we have a diode or resistor first. It is all act the same.
In all this circuit the current will be the same.
attachment.php?attachmentid=43192&stc=1&d=1327701639.png

And you should choose your resistor more wisely.
LED current should not exceed 20mA If you want long life for your LED.
R = (Vbat - Vled)/ Iled = ( 6V - 2V) / 15mA = 260 ≈ 220Ω or 330Ω As for your second question
Simply build this circuit
attachment.php?attachmentid=43191&stc=1&d=1327701639.png

And the time constant is equal to T = R*C

Attachments

• 10.PNG
    10.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 489
  • 11.PNG
    11.PNG
    2.5 KB · Views: 491

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a complete path through which electricity can flow. It usually consists of a power source, wires, and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and switches.

2. What is the purpose of a circuit?

The purpose of a circuit is to control the flow of electricity and perform specific functions, such as powering devices or transmitting signals.

3. How do I build a circuit?

To build a circuit, you will need a power source, wires, and components. First, connect the power source to one end of the circuit using wires. Then, connect the components in series or parallel to create the desired effect. Finally, connect the other end of the circuit back to the power source using wires.

4. What are the basic components of a circuit?

The basic components of a circuit include a power source (such as a battery or power supply), wires, and components such as resistors, capacitors, and switches. Additional components may be added for more complex circuits.

5. How can I troubleshoot a circuit that is not working?

If your circuit is not working, first check to make sure all connections are secure and there are no loose or damaged wires. Then, use a multimeter to check the voltage and continuity of each component. If a component is faulty, replace it. You may also try simplifying the circuit to isolate the problem.