Hi, I wanted to know the following:Input Supply: 56KVA @ 220-240V

by adreams
Tags: 56kva, transformer
Share this thread:
adreams
Mar12-12, 01:32 PM
P: 1
Hi, I wanted to know the following:

Input Supply: 56KVA @ 220-240V (Municipal Supply)

Required 1000Amps @ 220-240V

Can a Transformer be bought to step up and supply the required power.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers discover cool-burning flames in space, could lead to better engines on earth (w/ Video)
Professors object to FAA restrictions on drone use
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts
psparky
Mar12-12, 01:43 PM
PF Gold
P: 731
Really odd question. I don't get it.

Is 56KVA the transformer you want? If you are talking 230 volts in....why do you need a transformer to get 230 volts out?

Please state your question more clearly. Remember, power in = power out in a transformer. A transformer can only raise voltage and lower amps....or lower voltage and raise amps.

However, if you are talking about taking a large incoming voltage and lowering it to 230 volts at 1,000 amps.......then yes, a 250 KVA transformer could work.....assuming you are talking single phase.
gerbi
Mar13-12, 02:19 AM
PF Gold
P: 160
Quote Quote by psparky View Post
[...] A transformer can only raise voltage and lower amps....or lower voltage and raise amps. [...]
I really wouldn't be so sure about that ;)

To the thread starter: provide us more detailed data of needed transformer - then we can talk. In general, You can always order a tailor-made transformer.

russ_watters
Mar13-12, 05:56 AM
Mentor
P: 22,239
Hi, I wanted to know the following:Input Supply: 56KVA @ 220-240V

Quote Quote by adreams View Post
Hi, I wanted to know the following:

Input Supply: 56KVA @ 220-240V (Municipal Supply)

Required 1000Amps @ 220-240V

Can a Transformer be bought to step up and supply the required power.
Psparky is right: that's not what transformers do. Voltage goes up and amperage down or amperage down and voltage up, while keeping power the same. Your power available is 56 kVa (which is 240 Amps at 230V) and a transformer will not change that.
russ_watters
Mar13-12, 06:20 AM
Mentor
P: 22,239
Quote Quote by gerbi View Post
I really wouldn't be so sure about that ;)

To the thread starter: provide us more detailed data of needed transformer - then we can talk. In general, You can always order a tailor-made transformer.
A transformer has a voltage in and out and a rated kVa (from which you can find amperage in and out). We got all three of those pieces of information, plus a kVa available which is less than the kVa required. This is a conservation of energy fail.
gerbi
Mar13-12, 06:27 AM
PF Gold
P: 160
Quote Quote by russ_watters View Post
A transformer has a voltage in and out and a rated kVa (from which you can find amperage in and out). We got all three of those pieces of information, plus a kVa available which is less than the kVa required. This is a conservation of energy fail.
That's right, haven't read his post careful enought. Energy can't be multiplied. I thought there was a mistake in spec..
Windadct
Mar13-12, 08:44 AM
P: 554
Start with the math 56KVA = 56,000 Volt Amps ..... 56,0000 KVA / 220 V = 254 A - The "KVA" defines the ratio of the V and A - you can not change one without affecting the other.

Register to reply