Several questions about functions

• Thread starter colt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation discusses various problems and proofs related to functions. The first two problems discuss the impossibility of finding functions f and g that satisfy certain equations involving x and y. The third problem asks for a specific function g given a function f, and the answer is g(x) = g(0) + x. The remaining problem deals with proving or disproving identities involving functions, such as (f+g)°h = f°h + g°h and 1/(f°g) = (1/f)°g. The person attempting the problems expresses confusion and lack of understanding in some of the questions.
colt

Homework Statement

I have these problems:
15.6.2)Proof that there isn't functions f and g such that f(x)and g(y) = xy for all values of x and y. Sugestion: Considering x=0 proof that g must be a constant function. After doing that, consider now y=0 e sees what happens with the function.

15.6.3)Proof that there isn't functions f and g such that f(x)g(y)=x+y for alll values of x and y. Sugestion: Considering x=0 proof that f(0) != 0 and determines an expression for g(y). Doing that, consider then y=0 and sees what happens with x.

15.6.4)Be f(x)= x+1.There is such functions f°g = g°f? Answer: g(x) = g(0) + x

15.6.1)Be f,g and h functions. Show a proof or a counter-proof for the following identities:
a)(f+g)°h = f°h + g°h
b)h°(f+g) = h°f + h°g
c)1/(f°g) = (1/f)°g
d)1/(f°g) = f°(1/g)

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried to do:

15.6.2) I am not even sure if I understand the question.F(x)and G(y) = xy means that both functions are equal. I think they can't. How can a single variable function produces two variables as a answer?

15.6.3)Same problem as above.

15.6.4)I don't understand the answer. Why this unusual answer based on its on value? Why can't g(x) = x or g(x) = x+c ? In my hypothesis: f°g = f(g(x)) = f(x+c) = x+c+1. g°f = g(f(x)) = g(x+1) = x+1+c

15.6.1)a) and b) I know that (f + g) (x) = f(x) + g(x). So (f+g)°h = (f() + g())°h. Not sure if this is right and even if it is, no idea how to show of that the ° operator is distributive (or not).

15.6.1)c and d. No idea in this one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first two questions don't make sense as worded.
Proof that there isn't functions f°g such that f(x)g(y)=x+y

What does the composition of f and g have to do with the equation f(x)g(y)=x+y?

My mistake:

Proof that there isn't functions f and g such that f(x)and g(y) = xy for all values of x and y.

Proof that there isn't functions f and g such that f(x)g(y)=x+y

These are the correct versions

Related to Several questions about functions

1. What is a function?

A function is a set of instructions or operations that can take in inputs, perform some calculations or tasks, and produce an output. In programming, functions are used to organize code and make it reusable.

2. What is the purpose of using functions?

Functions help improve the efficiency and readability of code by breaking it into smaller, manageable chunks. They also make code more reusable, reducing the need to rewrite the same code multiple times.

3. How do you define a function?

To define a function, you use the def keyword followed by the function name and parentheses, which can contain parameters. Then, the function body is indented below, and you use the return keyword to specify the output of the function.

4. What are parameters and arguments in a function?

Parameters are variables used to store values passed into a function when it is called. Arguments are the actual values passed into the function when it is called. Parameters and arguments allow for dynamic input and output in functions.

5. How do you call a function?

To call a function, you use the function name followed by parentheses containing the arguments if any. This will execute the code inside the function and return the output, if specified. The function can be called multiple times with different arguments, making it reusable.