Axial Stress compression, poissons ratio ect.

In summary, a compound bar is created by welding a solid cylindrical bar to a hollow tube. When loaded with an axial force of 40 kN, the stress in the solid bar is equal to the stress in the tube. To determine the external diameter of the tube, the strain in the first tube is calculated using the formula ε=ΔL/L. The Poisson's ratio is then used to find the strain in the second tube, and from there the transverse stress can be calculated. However, it is unclear what to do with this information to determine the external diameter of the tube.
steve2510

Homework Statement

A solid cylindrical bar 18.34 mm diameter and 180 mm long is welded to a hollow tube 18.34 mm internal diameter and 120 mm long to make a compound bar. Determine the external diameter of the tube in (mm) if when loaded with an axial force of 40 kN, the stress in the solid bar is the same as the stress in the tube.
E = 210 GN/m2, n = 0.3

Homework Equations

σ=F/a
ε=ΔL/L
Poisson's ratio = εt / εl

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find the strain in the first tube, and if they are equal then its the same in the second tube, but then I'm not sure what i can do from there, i don't no what the n=0.3, i assumed it might be poisson's ratio, so i tried to do the longitudinal stress i calculated and found out the transverse stress but i don't have a clue how i can use this..

Physics news on Phys.org
Strain in tube 1 = 40 x 10^3/ (π x (182.34/2)^2) x 210 x 10^9 = 0.0056 Then i would assume that the strain in the other tube will be the same, and the poisson's ratio is 0.3 so: εt = (0.3)(0.0056) εt = 0.001668 σt = εt x 210 x 10^9 σt = 35.0480 From here I'm not sure what to do

1. What is axial stress?

Axial stress is a type of stress that occurs when a force is applied in a direction parallel to the long axis of an object. It causes the object to contract or elongate, and is commonly seen in structures such as columns, beams, and cables.

2. How is axial stress calculated?

Axial stress is calculated by dividing the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the object. The unit of measurement for axial stress is typically pounds per square inch (psi) or newtons per square meter (Pa).

3. What is compression stress?

Compression stress is a type of axial stress that occurs when an object is being pushed or compressed along its long axis. This type of stress causes the object to shorten or become more compact.

4. What is Poisson's ratio?

Poisson's ratio is a material property that describes the relationship between the lateral strain (change in width) and axial strain (change in length) of an object when subjected to an applied stress. It is denoted by the Greek letter "nu" (ν) and has a value between -1 and 0.5.

5. How is Poisson's ratio related to axial stress and compression?

Poisson's ratio is related to axial stress and compression through Hooke's law, which states that the ratio of axial stress to axial strain is equal to the negative of Poisson's ratio. This means that as axial stress increases, the object will experience a corresponding increase in lateral strain, and vice versa.