Force required to reduce the diameter

In summary: Therefore, it should be rounded down to 200kN.In summary, a mild steel bar with a diameter of 40 mm and length of 100 mm was subjected to a tensile force along its axis. Using the given Young's modulus of elasticity for mild steel and Poisson's ratio, the force required to reduce the diameter to 39.99 mm was calculated to be approximately 200 kN.
oxon88

Homework Statement

A mild steel bar 40 mm diameter and 100 mm long is subjected to a tensile force along its axis.
Young’s modulus of elasticity for mild steel = 200 GN m–2.
Poisson’s ratio is 0.3.

Calculate the force (F) required to reduce the diameter to 39.99 mm.

Use the x–y coordinate system as shown above.

Homework Equations

Poissson's Ratio = - (transverse strain / axial strain)

force = Stress x Area

The Attempt at a Solution

transverse strain = (39.99 - 40) / 40 = -0.25x10^-3

axial strain = - (-0.25x10^-3 / 0.3) = 833.333 x 10^-6

axial stress = (833.333 x 10^-6) x (200 x 10^9) = 166.666 x 10^6

force (F) = 166.666x10^6 x (0.25∏ x 0.04^2) = 209439.51 N

Physics news on Phys.org
can anyone check my workings please?

Looks good! Just round off your answer to 200 kN.

Likes 1 person
Many Thanks.

Was this correct Oxon88 as I get a answer which is slightly different from yours?

yes. what answer did you get?

I got 209.36kN that's why I was wondering. I changed the dimensions of the tube into m from the start and got a different answer to your transverse strain which then saw all my answers being different all the way through. Hence why I wanted to know if yours was correct a I thought it was slightly out

looks acceptable, its pretty close to what i got. As PhanthomJay states, just round it off to 200kN

why would you round it down to 200kN? Also I commented on another question regarding tubular column which is question 2 and was waiting to hear back from that thread if you could that would be great.

Values should be rounded to the lowest number of significant figures in the given values. All such values have only 1 significant figure. Therefore, the answer is good only to one significant figure.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the formula for calculating the force required to reduce the diameter?

The formula for calculating the force required to reduce the diameter is F = T x L/2πR, where F is the force, T is the tensile strength of the material, L is the length of the material, and R is the original radius or diameter of the material.

2. How does the force required to reduce the diameter change with different materials?

The force required to reduce the diameter is directly proportional to the tensile strength of the material. This means that materials with higher tensile strength will require more force to reduce their diameter compared to materials with lower tensile strength.

3. Is there a limit to the force that can be applied to reduce the diameter of a material?

Yes, there is a limit to the force that can be applied to reduce the diameter of a material. This is known as the yield strength of the material. Once the force applied exceeds the yield strength, the material will permanently deform and not return to its original shape.

4. How does the length of the material affect the force required to reduce the diameter?

The force required to reduce the diameter is inversely proportional to the length of the material. This means that longer materials will require less force to reduce their diameter compared to shorter materials.

5. Can the force required to reduce the diameter be increased by using specialized tools?

Yes, there are specialized tools such as hydraulic presses or metal rollers that can apply a greater force to reduce the diameter of a material compared to manual methods. These tools can also be used to reduce the diameter of materials with higher tensile strength.