Register to reply

Wave ratings for mirrors

by Artman
Tags: mirrors, ratings, wave
Share this thread:
Artman
Sep17-03, 12:34 PM
P: 1,591
I know that a telescope system is supposed to be at least 1/4 wave or less (for both primary and secondary ratings combined), but I am not quite sure what the wave rating refers to. Can someone explain what this is measuring.
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Spitzer telescope witnesses asteroid smashup
Radio telescopes settle controversy over distance to Pleiades
Integral gamma-ray observatory demonstrates white dwarfs can reignite and explode as supernovae
chroot
Sep17-03, 08:10 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
A "quarter-wave" mirror is a mirror whose figure is an accurate parabola within one quarter wavelength of a specific color of visible light (green, I believe). In other words, the hills and valleys on the mirror's surface are smaller than about 100 nanometers from the ideal parabolic figure.

- Warren
Artman
Sep18-03, 07:31 AM
P: 1,591
Thanks chroot,
I thought it was something like that, but I have never seen it defined.

Labguy
Sep29-03, 04:31 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 734
Wave ratings for mirrors

As chroot said, the measure is usualy in green light, most sensitive to the eye and at a wavelength short enough to be meaningful. A 1/25th wave mirror measured in red light would most likely be a terrible figure for a telescope mirror.

Actually, most wavelength claims are being ignored in favor of an accurate measure of the "Strehl Ratio", which is much more indicative of a mirror's surface accuracy.

See:
http://www.rfroyce.com/standards.htm

Labguy

Register to reply