Telescope Design: Calculating Total Distance from Primary Mirror to Eyepiece

In summary, the distance from the primary mirror to the eyepiece of a telescope is determined by the focal length of the primary mirror and the focal length of the eyepiece. The total distance is calculated by adding the focal lengths together, with the primary mirror being closer to the eyepiece. The distance can also be adjusted by using additional lenses or mirrors in the telescope's optical design. The length of the telescope's tube can also impact the total distance, as a longer tube may require a longer focal length for the eyepiece. Ultimately, the goal is to find a balance between magnification and image clarity when designing a telescope.
Mitchell316
I am currently in the middle of constructing a Newtonian reflecting telescope and I had a question. The focal length for my primary mirror is 1500mm and 3mm for my eyepiece. My question relates to the path of the light inside the tube of a telescope. I understand that in a Newtonian reflector, the light travels to the primary mirror at the end of the tube and reflects onto the secondary mirror into the eyepiece. My question is, is the total distance between the primary mirror and the eyepiece 1500mm or 1500mm plus the 3mm focal length on the eyepiece? With a primary mirror of 1500mm Focal length and an eyepiece of 3mm length, what is the total distance from the primary mirror to the eyepiece?
Thanks in advance for the answers. I do appreciate your time and knowledge.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Mitchell316 said:
The focal length for my primary mirror is 1500mm and 3mm for my eyepiece. My question relates to the path of the light inside the tube of a telescope. I understand that in a Newtonian reflector, the light travels to the primary mirror at the end of the tube and reflects onto the secondary mirror into the eyepiece. My question is, is the total distance between the primary mirror and the eyepiece 1500mm or 1500mm plus the 3mm focal length on the eyepiece?

hi there

Every telescope has a stated focal length, which is effectively the distance from the primary lens or mirror to the point at which it forms an image of a very distant object. This is a figure that you'll usually see printed or engraved near the eyepiece focuser.

That is the focal length of the scope. The eyepiece sits just past that focal point

TelescopeMagnification_p1small.gif

Focal length of objective = fo
Focal length of eyepiece = fe

does that help ?

EDIT: ... the principle is the same regardless of it it is a reflector or a refractor

Dave

Likes 1oldman2
I have used this http://www.dalekeller.net/ATM/Newtonians/newtsoft/newtsoft.htm to design Newtonians to good effect.

Regards Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the purpose of calculating the total distance from the primary mirror to the eyepiece in telescope design?

The total distance from the primary mirror to the eyepiece is important in telescope design because it determines the magnification and field of view of the telescope. It also affects the overall size and weight of the telescope.

How is the total distance from the primary mirror to the eyepiece calculated?

The total distance is calculated by adding the focal length of the primary mirror to the focal length of the eyepiece. This gives the overall focal length of the telescope, which is then used to calculate the total distance.

What factors affect the total distance from the primary mirror to the eyepiece?

The primary factors that affect the total distance are the focal length of the primary mirror and the focal length of the eyepiece. Other factors, such as the design of the telescope and the type of eyepiece used, can also impact the total distance.

Why is it important to consider the total distance in telescope design?

The total distance affects the overall performance of the telescope. If the distance is too short, the telescope may have a limited field of view and magnification. If it is too long, the telescope may be cumbersome and difficult to use. It is important to find a balance that optimizes the performance of the telescope.

Are there any standard values for the total distance in telescope design?

There are no standard values for the total distance, as it will vary depending on the specific design and purpose of the telescope. Different telescopes may have different optimal distances, so it is important to calculate and adjust the distance based on the specific needs and goals of the telescope.