Air Propulsion Project: Designing a 200lb Wheeled Vehicle with Ducted Fan Power

In summary, the possibility of a wheeled vehicle powered by a ducted fan is feasible, given the low friction surfaces and 2 horsepower motor specified. However, factors such as vehicle weight and design considerations need to be taken into account. Calculations for thrust and power will also be necessary to determine the feasibility of this idea.
chrislandan
For a project I am looking into the possibility for a wheeled vehicle to be powered by a ducted fan. At this stage in my process I am only certain that the vehicle will weigh about 200 pounds and will be powered by a 2 horsepower motor at 2000 rpm and operate on low friction surfaces. I am looking for the vehicle to move around 15 ft/s. If anyone could help me with calculations that could justify the feasibility of such a vehicle would be greatly appreciated. To give you an idea of my educational background i am currently in college for engineering with no coursework in aerodynamics.
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have an idea that will work in theory...but i can't release details other than the fact that the vehicle will essentially run on air...yes, air.

Hi there,

I think it's definitely possible for a wheeled vehicle to be powered by a ducted fan, especially with your specifications of low friction surfaces and a 2 horsepower motor. However, there are a few factors that need to be considered in order to determine the feasibility of this idea.

Firstly, the weight of the vehicle is a crucial factor. A 200-pound vehicle may be too heavy for a 2 horsepower motor to power effectively. You may want to look into using a more powerful motor or reducing the weight of the vehicle to ensure it can move at the desired speed.

Additionally, the design and placement of the ducted fan will also play a significant role in the vehicle's performance. The fan will need to be positioned in a way that maximizes its thrust and minimizes any drag it may cause. You may want to consult with someone knowledgeable in aerodynamics to help with this aspect.

As for calculations, there are a few key ones you can start with. First, you'll need to determine the amount of thrust required to move the vehicle at 15 ft/s. This can be calculated using the vehicle's weight, the desired speed, and the coefficient of friction of the surface it will be moving on.

Next, you'll need to calculate the thrust produced by your 2 horsepower motor at 2000 rpm. This can be done using the motor's torque and rpm values, as well as the fan's diameter and pitch.

Once you have these values, you can compare the thrust required to the thrust produced to see if the motor is capable of powering the vehicle at the desired speed. Keep in mind that there will be some losses due to friction and other factors, so it's always a good idea to have a bit of a safety margin in your calculations.

I hope this helps get you started on your project. Best of luck with it, and don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions!

1. What is the purpose of the Air Propulsion Project?

The purpose of the Air Propulsion Project is to design and build a 200lb wheeled vehicle that will be powered by a ducted fan. This project aims to demonstrate the potential of air propulsion technology in the field of transportation.

2. How does air propulsion work?

Air propulsion uses a fan to create a high-velocity stream of air, which can then be directed to provide thrust and propel a vehicle forward. In the case of this project, the ducted fan will be positioned at the back of the vehicle, drawing in air from the front and expelling it at a high speed behind the vehicle.

3. What materials will be used in the construction of the vehicle?

The vehicle will be constructed using lightweight and durable materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum, and composite materials. These materials are commonly used in the aerospace industry and will help to keep the overall weight of the vehicle as low as possible.

4. Will the vehicle be able to carry passengers?

No, the focus of this project is to design and build a prototype vehicle to demonstrate the capabilities of air propulsion technology. As such, it will not be able to carry passengers. However, the design and technology could potentially be adapted for use in passenger vehicles in the future.

5. What are the potential benefits of using air propulsion in transportation?

There are several potential benefits of using air propulsion in transportation, including reduced fuel consumption, lower emissions, and increased speed and efficiency. Additionally, it could lead to the development of new and innovative modes of transportation, such as flying cars or hovercrafts.