Vertical steel column analysis

by davidratcliff6255
Tags: analysis, column, steel, vertical
davidratcliff6255
Sep18-03, 10:55 PM
P: 12
I have recently came across design capacity tables for structural steel (hollow sections). - In the table it shows that 273.1 x 12.7 CHS will not buckle at 1 metre of height (below that, size 219.1 x 12.7 at the same height will buckle at 10 kN less than full capacity if it were fully supported)... So if a continuous vertical length of size 273.1 x 12.7 tubing were laterally supported every 1 metre, the tubing should reach full height of around 3.9 km, right?

I have figured out the webbing method of that size tubing to be around 35% extra (self supported) weight... so works out to be somewhere around 2.5 km total height before it will squash from its own weight. - Smaller diamater = more webbing, larger diamater = less webbing. So if a large enough diamater were used you could probably get the webbing down to around 10% of the weight of the tubing... So around 3.5 km uniform section.

I am seeking input from anyone with access to (FE) computer analysis program who would be interested in doing a test with me. If I am right then the system could be used for anything from a yacht/ship mast to an, earthquake proofing, highrise building "spine" system... which could also double as the crane used for heavy lifting during construction. With a couple of simple changes can also be used for bridges.

Regards,
Dave
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind

Register to reply