16-bit addition/subtraction with an 8-bit adder

by cyenko
Tags: 16bit, 8bit, adder
Share this thread:
cyenko
May13-12, 05:37 PM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose we have only one 8-bit ripple carry adder but need to do 16-bit addition and subtraction.
Design a sequential circuit (FSM) with only one 8-bit ripple carry adder to implement a 16-bit adder-subtractor.
You are allowed to use MUXs and need to generate the overflow signal.

2. Relevant equations

Overflow = Cn - Cn-1

3. The attempt at a solution

I've attempted to find similar circuit schematics, boolean expressions, diagrams, etc. online to no avail. I am familiar with the implementation with an 8-bit ripple carry adder, and can obtain the final overflow signal through

O=C7 XOR C6
Since I am prohibited from using two 8-bit adders, I was thinking of encoding the given 16 bit numbers using a 16-4 encoder, and then doing the operations, but this would not be valid when multiple bits of the given 16-bit numbers are set high.

I'm looking for guidance on where to begin. I think once I have the general idea on how 16 bits can be stuck in the 8 bit adder, I'll be able to do this problem. Specifically, where should I route the overflow to, and what combination of bits from the two original numbers should I put into the adder?

Thanks for your time,
Chris
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Guidelines for enhancing solar cells using surface plasmon polaritons
Trees and shrubs invading critical grasslands, diminish cattle production
Climate change will threaten fish by drying out Southwest US streams, research predicts

Register to reply