Bit of confusion with coils and electromagnetic induction

by curiousjoe94
Tags: coils, confusion, electromagnetic, induction
curiousjoe94
Jun8-12, 09:55 AM
P: 21
Apparently for emf to be induced in a coil, the magnetic field (or part of it) has to act along the normal to the coil face. So does this mean that the coil moves side-ways through the magnetic field? where instead of moving through its length (its longer side), it moves through the coil face width. I've attached a picture below to show what I mean by this.

It says in my book as well, that 'When the coil is completely in the field, the flux linkage does not change, so the induced emf is zero. So does this mean that in my diagram below, as soon as the coil has fully in between those two magnets, induced emf stops completely? - even if the coil continues to move up/down within the magnetic field?

(by the way, the picture is from a bird's eye view)
Attached Thumbnails
Coil movement.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
tiny-tim
Jun8-12, 04:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,167
hi curiousjoe94!
Quote Quote by curiousjoe94 View Post
It says in my book as well, that 'When the coil is completely in the field, the flux linkage does not change, so the induced emf is zero. So does this mean that in my diagram below, as soon as the coil has fully in between those two magnets, induced emf stops completely?
if the magnetic field is uniform and constant, yes

unless the coil rotates, the flux through it cannot change, and the induced emf is zero

Register to reply