Kirchhoff's Voltage Law - Closed Loop?

In summary: The branch you added to the left was there to begin with and it is the long-hand way of drawing in VCC. Correct?I do not know what long-hand way is, but the battery was there. Maybe, not really a battery, but some other appliance for power supply: transformer connected to 230 V ac, with rectifier and stabiliser and so on, with output 22 V dc.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Determine VC for the network in Fig. 7.24 (left-hand image).

Example_7.9.png

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law: The algebraic sum of the potential rises and drops around a closed path (or closed loop) is zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an example problem in my book "Introductory Circuit Analysis" by Boylestad, 12th Ed., page 256. I understood KVL in the chapter on series dc circuits. There, closed loops were obvious.

My hangup with this question is I don't see how Fig. 7.25 represents a closed loop.

The book states:

[tex]V_{C}+V_{R_C}-V_{CC}=0[/tex]

Why are we subtracting VCC?

Can somebody post a Microsoft Paint drawing to show me how Fig. 7.25 is a closed loop?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the closed loops. They did not draw the battery, but it is there!

ehild

Attachments

• transistorcirc.JPG
    transistorcirc.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 432
ehild said:
Look at the closed loops. They did not draw the battery, but it is there!

ehild

People like you are what make this site among the best on the 'net. You responded within minutes of my OP. Thank you.

So is there a rule of thumb that I can use when I run into this dilemma? What about the circuit told you that the battery was definitely hooked up as in your image? I mean, it would be feasible to draw the battery into the circuit a different way (as in below) and get a different result, right?

voltage.png

Your circuit is different from the original one. The emf of your battery is 2 V, Vcc =22 V can not be supplied with such an arrangement, without an additional battery.
The potential must be 22 V at the point shown with respect to the ground, which is at zero potential. That is the maximum potential shown: there must be a battery with that emf.
The real transistor circuits have some supply voltage, a battery. That is what I drew. The Base voltage is obtained by the voltage divider R1 and R2 in series. I know it because I have made a lot of such circuits...

ehild

Last edited:
OK, now I see it...

The branch you added to the left was there to begin with and it is the long-hand way of drawing in VCC. Correct?

I do not know what long-hand way is, :smile: but the battery was there. Maybe, not really a battery, but some other appliance for power supply: transformer connected to 230 V ac, with rectifier and stabiliser and so on, with output 22 V dc.

ehild

1. What is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, also known as KVL, states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop circuit must equal zero. This law is based on the principle of conservation of energy and is a fundamental law in circuit analysis.

2. How is Kirchhoff's Voltage Law applied in circuit analysis?

To apply Kirchhoff's Voltage Law in circuit analysis, one must first identify all the components in a closed loop circuit and assign a direction for current flow. Then, using KVL, one can write an equation stating that the sum of all voltage drops must equal the sum of all voltage rises in the circuit.

3. What is the importance of Kirchhoff's Voltage Law in circuit analysis?

KVL is an essential tool in circuit analysis as it allows for the calculation of unknown voltages in a circuit. It also helps in identifying errors or discrepancies in circuit designs, making it a valuable troubleshooting tool.

4. Can Kirchhoff's Voltage Law be applied to open loop circuits?

No, Kirchhoff's Voltage Law can only be applied to closed loop circuits. In an open loop circuit, there is no defined path for current flow, so the law cannot be used to analyze the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations to Kirchhoff's Voltage Law?

While Kirchhoff's Voltage Law is a useful tool, it does have its limitations. It assumes ideal conditions, such as no resistance in wires and no internal resistance in voltage sources. It also does not take into account any electromagnetic interference or non-linear components in a circuit.