Converting EMU to Bohr Magnetons

• Thread starter Etreyu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bohr
In summary, the speaker is working with a SQUID magnetometer and is having trouble comparing their experimental results to theoretical. They want to convert the output of the SQUID from EMU to the number of Bohr Magnetons/ion. The speaker's understanding is that EMU is the sum of all magnetic moments in the sample, and they have been using a calculation to convert the output. However, they always end up with a Bohr magneton/ion less than 1 and believe they may be missing something or not understanding correctly. The other speaker mentions that depending on the sample, this may not be a wrong result and suggests multiplying by the molar mass of the molecule/unit cell/formula unit. They also remind the speaker that
Etreyu
Hi, I am currently working with a SQUID magnetometer and I am having trouble comparing my experimental results to theoretical. What I would like to do is convert the output of the SQUID which is in EMU to the number of Bohr Magnetons/ion.

My understanding is that EMU is the sum of all magnetic moments in the sample. My calculation so far has been

(SQUID output)x(Molar mass of magnetic atom) / NAμB(sample mass)

I always end up with a Bohr magneton/ion less than 1, about 0.2-0.6. I think there is something I am missing or not understanding correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on the sample, that is not necessarily a wrong result.

Unless the sample is mono-atomic, you should multiply by the molar mass of the molecule/unit cell/formula unit.

Remember that your are measuring the net effective magnetic moment per formula unit.
There are many effects that can reduce the net magnetizaation: Temperature, quenching of orbital momentum in a crystal, antiferromagnetic coupling, ...

Related to Converting EMU to Bohr Magnetons

1. What is the conversion factor for EMU to Bohr Magnetons?

The conversion factor for EMU (electromagnetic units) to Bohr Magnetons is 1 EMU = 1.00115965267 Bohr magnetons. This means that one EMU is slightly larger than one Bohr magneton.

2. Why is it necessary to convert EMU to Bohr Magnetons?

EMU and Bohr Magnetons are two different units of measurement for magnetic moments. EMU is commonly used in the cgs (centimeter-gram-second) system, while Bohr magnetons are used in the atomic system of units. Converting between the two allows for consistency and compatibility in scientific calculations and measurements.

3. Can EMU and Bohr Magnetons be used interchangeably?

No, EMU and Bohr Magnetons cannot be used interchangeably as they are different units of measurement. It is important to convert between the two units to ensure accurate and consistent results in scientific experiments and calculations.

4. How do I convert EMU to Bohr Magnetons?

To convert EMU to Bohr Magnetons, simply multiply the EMU value by 1.00115965267. For example, if you have a magnetic moment of 10 EMU, the conversion would be 10 x 1.00115965267 = 10.0115965267 Bohr magnetons.

5. Are there other units of measurement for magnetic moments?

Yes, there are other units of measurement for magnetic moments such as ampere-meter squared (A·m²) and Joule per tesla (J/T). However, these units are not as commonly used as EMU and Bohr Magnetons in scientific research and experiments.