How do I use l'Hopital's rule to find the limit of [f(x)-cosa]/(x-a)?

In summary, the conversation involves a question about finding the limit for [f(x)-cos a]/(x-a) using l'Hopital's rule, where x≠a and f(x) is defined as [sinx-sin a]/(x-a) when x≠a and cosa when x=a. The conversation also includes a discussion about differentiating the numerator and denominator using l'Hopital's rule and the use of Taylor series to find the limit.
aruwin
How can I find the limit for [f(x)-cosa]/(x-a) using l'Hopital's rule?

Note: when x≠a, f(x)= [sinx-sina]/ (x-a)
when x=a, f(x)= cosa

So,here's what I know,

Since f(x)= cosa, then f(a)= cosa and therefore, substituting this into [f(x)-cosa]/(x-a) gives [f(x)-f(a)]/(x-a)

l'Hopital's rule says that to find the limit, we can differentiate the numerator and denominator seperately. How do I do that?

Is it like this?

for the numerator =>[f'(x) - f'(a)]
for the denominator, should I differentiate it with respect to x or a?? I don't know how to differentiate x-a.
Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
aruwin said:
How can I find the limit for [f(x)-cosa]/(x-a) using l'Hopital's rule?

Note: when x≠a, f(x)= [sinx-sina]/ (x-a)
when x=a, f(x)= cosa

So,here's what I know,

Since f(x)= cosa, then f(a)= cosa and therefore, substituting this into [f(x)-cosa]/(x-a) gives [f(x)-f(a)]/(x-a)

l'Hopital's rule says that to find the limit, we can differentiate the numerator and denominator seperately. How do I do that?

Is it like this?

for the numerator =>[f'(x) - f'(a)]
for the denominator, should I differentiate it with respect to x or a?? I don't know how to differentiate x-a.
Help!

If I understood correctly, you want
[tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)-\cos a}{x-a}\,\,,\,\,f(x):=\left\{ \begin{array} \frac \frac{\sin x-\sin a} {x-a}\,&\,\text{for}\;\;\,x\neq a\\{}\\ \cos a\,&\,\text{for}\;\;\,x=a\end{array}\right.[/tex]
Applying L'Hospital's rule, we get:
[tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)-\cos a}{x-a}=\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f'(x)}{1}=\lim_{x\to a}\cos x=\cos a[/tex]

DonAntonio

differentiate it with respect to x
(x-a)'=x'=1
You do not need l'Hopital's rule because
limit for [f(x)-cos a]/(x-a)=[f(x)-f(a)]/(x-a)=f'(a) by the definition (Newton quotient)
so find f'(a)
you can either work through it directly of recognize f as a familiar function.

DonAntonio said:
If I understood correctly, you want
[tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)-\cos a}{x-a}\,\,,\,\,f(x):=\left\{ \begin{array} \frac \frac{\sin x-\sin a} {x-a}\,&\,\text{for}\;\;\,x\neq a\\{}\\ \cos a\,&\,\text{for}\;\;\,x=a\end{array}\right.[/tex]
Applying L'Hospital's rule, we get:
[tex]\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f(x)-\cos a}{x-a}=\lim_{x\to a}\frac{f'(x)}{1}=\lim_{x\to a}\cos x=\cos a[/tex]

DonAntonio

But cosa is equals to f(a). I think we should differentiate that too.So the limit is going to be for [f(x)-f(a)]/ (x-a) ,right?

The answer here is -(sina)/2. But I don't know how to get that.

lurflurf said:
differentiate it with respect to x
(x-a)'=x'=1
You do not need l'Hopital's rule because
limit for [f(x)-cos a]/(x-a)=[f(x)-f(a)]/(x-a)=f'(a) by the definition (Newton quotient)
so find f'(a)
you can either work through it directly of recognize f as a familiar function.

But if I just fiind f'(a), won't it be -sina?? The answer given is -(sina)/2 .

Hi there, can you explain to me something? I just don't understand the bolded part(the last part) of this problem. Actually, this is a solution to the question on finding the limit of 1/(sin(x) - sin(a)) - 1/((x - a)cos(a)).

The solution is:
Clearly we can't use l'Hopital's rule yet, so let's use the hint. We need a Taylor series for sin(x) centred at x = a. We know the successive derivatives of sin(x), so this should be fairly simple. Moreover, since the derivatives are all still everywhere bounded by -1 and 1, Taylor's theorem will still prove that the series will converge to sin(x) for all x. So, we get that, for all x:

sin(x) = (sin(a)/0!) + (cos(a)/1!)(x - a) - (sin(a)/2!)(x - a)^2 - (cos(a)/3!)(x - a)^3 + (sin(a)/4!)(x - a)^4 + ...

sin(x) - sin(a) = (x - a)(cos(a)/1! - (sin(a)/2!)(x - a) - (cos(a)/3!)(x - a)^2 + (sin(a)/4!)(x - a)^3 + ...)

Let f(x) = cos(a)/1! - (sin(a)/2!)(x - a) - (cos(a)/3!)(x - a)^2 + (sin(a)/4!)(x - a)^3 + ...

i.e. (sin(x) - sin(a)) / (x - a) if x is not equal to a, or cos(a) if it is. The important thing to realize is that, as a function defined by a power series, it is infinitely differentiable everywhere on the interior of its domain (in this case, everywhere), and therefore continuous and differentiable everywhere. Then:

1 / (sin(x) - sin(a)) - 1 / ((x - a)cos(a))
= 1 / ((x - a)f(x)) - 1 / ((x - a)cos(a))
= (1 / (x - a))(1 / f(x) - 1 / cos(a))
= -(f(x) - cos(a)) / ((x - a)cos(a)f(x))

-(f(x) - cos(a)) / ((x - a)cos(a)f(x))

Here's where we could use l'Hopital's rule, but I think it would be redundant. We can separate the factors like so:

-1 / (cos(a)f(x)) * (f(x) - cos(a)) / (x - a)

The first factor is continuous so long as the limit of f(x) as x approaches a is not 0. But, f(x) is continuous, so the limit is f(a), which is clearly equal to cos(a). Since cos(a) appears in the denominator, we already presuppose that cos(a) is non-zero, so the limit of the first factor is -1 / cos^2(a).

The second factor can be rewritten as such:

(f(x) - f(a)) / (x - a)

The limit as x approaches a could be determined by differentiating top and bottom, or by simply noticing that this is a definition of the derivative of f at a point a. We know it exists because f is defined as a power series. We can determine the limit either by differentiating term by term and substituting x = a, or by recalling that power series are their own Taylor expansion around their centre, which means the derivative, divided by 1!, will be the coefficient of (x - a)^1, which is -sin(a)/2!. Thus:

f'(a) = -sin(a) / 2

Therefore, the limit is:

-1 / cos^2(a) * -sin(a) / 2
= sec(a)tan(a) / 2

OK,back to my question. Can you explain this part where the bolded part?

If I use l'Hopital's rule, I must differentiate the numerator and the denominator,right? The denominator is just x-a so the derivative would be 1 with respect to x,isn't it?What about the numerator?How do I differentiate f(x)-f(a)?

aruwin said:
But cosa is equals to f(a). I think we should differentiate that too.

No, we don't have. Of course, you can differentiate that with respect to x and you'll get zero as it is a constant.

So the limit is going to be for [f(x)-f(a)]/ (x-a) ,right?

The answer here is -(sina)/2. But I don't know how to get that.

"But if I just fiind f'(a), won't it be -sina??"
f(a)=cos(a)
but
f(x)!=cos(x)
If you apply l'Hopital's rule to
limit [f(x)-cos a]/(x-a)=limit [f(x)-f(a)]/(x-a)=f'(a)
That does not really help, the problem remains to find f'(a)

If use of series expansion is allowed as you note it helps to use
sin(x)=sin(a)+(x-a)cos(a)-(1/2)(x-a)^2sin(a)-(1/6)(x-a)^3cos(a)+...
"How do I differentiate f(x)-f(a)?"
(f(x)-f(a))'=f'(x)

Last edited:
DonAntonio said:
No, we don't have. Of course, you can differentiate that with respect to x and you'll get zero as it is a constant.

Can you explain to me the bolded part?

sin(x)=sin(a)+(x-a)cos(a)-(1/2)(x-a)^2sin(a)-(1/6)(x-a)^3cos(a)+...
in particular try to write a Taylor series for
f(x) then use it to compute f'(a)

Last edited:
lurflurf said:
"But if I just fiind f'(a), won't it be -sina??"
f(a)=cos(a)
but
f(x)!=cos(x)
If you apply l'Hopital's rule to
limit [f(x)-cos a]/(x-a)=limit [f(x)-f(a)]/(x-a)=f'(a)
That does not really help, the problem remains to find f'(a)

sin(x)=sin(a)+(x-a)cos(a)-(1/2)(x-a)^2sin(a)-(1/6)(x-a)^3cos(x)+...
"How do I differentiate f(x)-f(a)?"

Oh, so the result of the l'hopital's rule is [0 - f'(a)]/1,right?
Now how do I find f'(a)? Can't I just differentiate cosa??Why not?

lurflurf said:
sin(x)=sin(a)+(x-a)cos(a)-(1/2)(x-a)^2sin(a)-(1/6)(x-a)^3cos(x)+...
in particular try to write a Taylor series for
f(x) then use it to compute f'(a)

The taylor series is already written in the solution as you see. But how do I relate that to finding f'(a)?

the result of the l'hopital's rule is f'(a)/1=f'(a)
we have

f(x)=(sin x-sin a)/(x-a) x!=a
f(x)=cos(a) x=a

using sin(x)=sin(a)+(x-a)cos(a)-(1/2)(x-a)^2sin(a)-(1/6)(x-a)^3cos(a)+...
we find
f(x)=cos(a)-(1/2)(x-a)sin(a)-(1/6)(x-a)^2cos(a)+...
this for all x (x=a and x!=a)
and makes it easy to find
f'(a)

lurflurf said:
the result of the l'hopital's rule is f'(a)/1=f'(a)
we have

f'(a)

Wait, before going further, how is it the result of the lhopital's rule f'(a)?
I thought it would be negative f'(a) since we were find the limit of [f'(x) - f'(a)]/[x-a]
where f'(x) = 0 since f(x) = cosa. I'm confused here :confused:

we have
limit (f(x)-cos(a))/(x-a)=limit (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)
since f(a)=cos(a)
f'(a)=limit (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)
is the definition of the derivative, but if we must use l'Hopital's rule
limit (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)=limit (f(x)-f(a))'/(x-a)'
(f(x)-f(a))'=f'(x)
(x-a)'=1
limit (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)=limit (f(x)-f(a))'/(x-a)'=lim f'(x)/1=f'(a)

lurflurf said:
we have
limit (f(x)-cos(a))/(x-a)=limit (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)
since f(a)=cos(a)
f'(a)=limit (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)
is the definition of the derivative, but if we must use l'Hopital's rule
limit (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)=limit (f(x)-f(a))'/(x-a)'
(f(x)-f(a))'=f'(x)
(x-a)'=1
limit (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)=limit (f(x)-f(a))'/(x-a)'=lim f'(x)/1=f'(a)

Oh,yes, now I got the limit. But why is f'(a)=limit (f(x)-f(a))/(x-a) the definition of the derivative?

That is the definition. It comes from the slope of a secant line
m=(f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)
Geometrically the derivative is the limit as x->a of the secant line, which is then (when it exists) a tangent line.

lurflurf said:
That is the definition. It comes from the slope of a secant line
m=(f(x)-f(a))/(x-a)
Geometrically the derivative is the limit as x->a of the secant line, which is then (when it exists) a tangent line.

So f'(a) is just the derivative of f(x) and substitute x with a,correct??

Oh,ok,now I see it. :) Thanks!

Last edited:
aruwin said:
Can you explain to me the bolded part?

To apply L'Hospital's rule we must derivate wrt the variable of the function. If we've agreed the variable is x then

ANYTHING different from x must be taken as a constant, and that is why [itex]\sin a\,,\, \cos a\,,\,a^{18}\,,\,[/itex] etc. is a constant number and thus its derivative is zero.

DonAntonio

Yes,I understand it now,thanks guys!

FAQ: How do I use l'Hopital's rule to find the limit of [f(x)-cosa]/(x-a)?

1. What is L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule, also known as the rule of Bernoulli, is a mathematical theorem that allows for the evaluation of limits involving indeterminate forms. It states that the limit of a quotient of two functions, both of which approach zero as the independent variable approaches a certain value, is equal to the limit of the quotient of the derivatives of the two functions.

2. When should L'Hopital's rule be used?

L'Hopital's rule should only be used when the limit of a quotient of two functions approaches an indeterminate form, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It is not applicable for other types of limits.

3. How is L'Hopital's rule applied?

To apply L'Hopital's rule, first determine if the limit is in an indeterminate form. Then, take the derivative of the numerator and denominator separately. If the limit of the derivative of the numerator over the derivative of the denominator exists, it is equal to the original limit.

4. What are the limitations of L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule cannot be applied if the limit is not in an indeterminate form or if the limit does not exist. It also cannot be used for limits at infinity or for limits involving trigonometric functions.

5. Who discovered L'Hopital's rule?

L'Hopital's rule was first published by Swiss mathematician Johann Bernoulli in 1694. However, it is named after his student, French mathematician Guillaume de l'Hopital, who published it in his textbook in 1696.