Register to reply

3 phase vs 1 phase generator

by Teachme
Tags: generator, phase
Share this thread:
Teachme
Jul21-12, 11:46 AM
P: 43
So I have been trying to figure out the actual advantages that a 3 phase generator has over a 1 phase generator. I have been trying to find a mathimatical proof as to why 3 phase is more efficient. I have looked everywhere and have not been able to find an answer. I know how to prove that 3 phase is better than 1 phase transmission wise, but have not been able to show the internal advantages.

I have tried calculating the internal copper losses in the coils of a three phase and one phase generator, with the same number of coils, and I get the same copper loss for both types of generators.... I am lost.
Can anyone give me mathematical proof that shows the difference in efficiency between a 3 phase and 1 phase generator?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Compact vibration harvester power supply with highest efficiency opens door to "fix-and-forget" sensor nodes
sophiecentaur
Jul21-12, 12:35 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,894
I guess the power output is more continuous (being the sum of the instantaneous VXI for all three phases). Would that not suggest that the peak current in a single winding would need to be more (√3 times as much,possibly)? That could be a reason for a difference in efficiency.
You certainly get a much better deal out of a three phase alternator when you want to rectify its output to produce DC. But I realise that's not a majority case.

Register to reply