How does quantum mechanics explain the big bang? Infinite realities?

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of how the universe exists according to quantum mechanics and why it is so complex and able to support life. The speaker presents their own theory of "infinite alternate realities" as the best explanation for the universe's existence and the occurrence of the big bang. However, the other person in the conversation points out that these theories are not based on scientific fact and cannot be tested through experiments. They also mention that our current understanding of physical laws is limited and we cannot make assumptions about the beginning of the universe. The conversation ends with a reminder that this topic is not suitable for a scientific discussion.
StayFrosty
I hope I'm not being redundant here. I would like to re-start discussion on how, according to quantum mechanics, the universe can exist. The question could go deeper and ask why, since the universe does in fact exist, did it become so complex, develop life on at least one planet, etc. How did the universe form from nothing and seemingly survive a very long chain of coincidences which lead to such a complex universe? And does quantum mechanics hold the answer to this at all?

I opened a similar discussion on this a few weeks ago over here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=636611
I feel that my own 'theory' was too strange, long to read, and not scientific enough, which is why we didn't get too many replies.

But I do still feel that a concept of 'infinite alternate realities' is the best explanation for how our universe exists as it does, and why the big bang happened. In fact, in this event it would be more amazing for our universe not to exist at all than the fact it does exist.

Keep in mind I am not a scientist... I'm just an average joe trying to explain his surroundings. I'm mainly looking for theories here... it doesn't have to be actual scientific fact. Is all I ask is that any theories presented are not contradicted by any science we know to be actual fact. I apologize if I'm not "sciency" enough, but the fact is that helping me out here will help aide my approval of scientific views, and also prevent me from following ideas which I'm sure most of you would strongly reject or laugh it.

Physics news on Phys.org
StayFrosty said:
But I do still feel that a concept of 'infinite alternate realities' is the best explanation for how our universe exists as it does, and why the big bang happened. In fact, in this event it would be more amazing for our universe not to exist at all than the fact it does exist. [...]

If you cannot possibly do experiments to falsify a theory, it's not a theory. It is just speculation.

You can make up all kinds of things about the beginning of the universe or alternate realities. All are exactly as valid as all others.
The truth is: We only know the physical laws now, on earth, and we have no idea what happened a few billion years ago, or what happens even a hundred light years away. Who knows, maybe the physical constants change over time or space and we just can't measure it? Or the laws themselves contain gradient terms we can't see on the tiny time scales we have available...

What you are asking for is not physics and does not belong here.

1. How does quantum mechanics explain the big bang?

Quantum mechanics does not directly explain the big bang, as it is a theory that deals with the behavior of particles on a very small scale. However, some researchers speculate that quantum fluctuations in the early universe may have played a role in the expansion and formation of the universe.

2. Can quantum mechanics be used to understand the beginning of the universe?

Quantum mechanics is a highly complex and abstract theory, and while it may offer some insights into the early moments of the universe, it is not currently able to fully explain the big bang. Other theories, such as general relativity, are also needed to understand the beginning of the universe.

3. Does quantum mechanics support the idea of infinite realities?

The concept of infinite realities, also known as the multiverse theory, is still a topic of debate in the scientific community. While some interpretations of quantum mechanics suggest the existence of parallel universes, there is currently no concrete evidence to support this idea.

4. How does quantum mechanics relate to the concept of the big bang singularity?

The big bang singularity refers to the point at which the universe was infinitely dense and small. Quantum mechanics helps to explain the behavior of particles at extremely high densities, but it does not provide a complete understanding of the singularity itself.

5. Can quantum mechanics explain the fundamental laws of the universe?

Quantum mechanics is one of the fundamental theories of modern physics and has contributed greatly to our understanding of the universe. However, it is not a complete explanation of all physical laws and is often combined with other theories, such as general relativity, to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.