Register to reply

Voltmeter registers on my skin

Share this thread:
SharkyMan
Oct20-12, 09:48 PM
P: 5
Can anyone out there tell me why a voltmeter would strongly register when I touch it to my arm, and yet I am in no contact with any electrical current? This seems outrageous to me. It is a commercially available pen tester bought at Home Depot and set on the highest setting.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Time of arrival at hospital impacts time to treatment and survival of heart attack patients
Informal child care significantly impacts rural economies, study finds
Generation of tanners see spike in deadly melanoma
JonDE
Oct21-12, 12:57 AM
P: 59
I'm not really sure what you are talking about, you should be getting almost no volts or amps if u are touching it to your arm. Maybe you have it set on ohms? I imagine that would get a pretty strong reading, especially if you held on lead in one hand and one lead in the other.
SharkyMan
Oct21-12, 05:59 AM
I am touching nothing, the voltmeter is set for household use, and the other hand is free. Any ideas?

SharkyMan
Oct21-12, 06:00 AM
Voltmeter registers on my skin

it is not set to ohms, it is really nuts.
SharkyMan
Oct21-12, 06:01 AM
if you are in So Cal, I would be glad to meet up with you and demonstrate this nutty phenom.
digfarenough
Oct21-12, 11:44 PM
P: 21
Voltage is measured between two points. One point is touching your arm, but what is the other point?

Or they do make non-contact voltmeters that, if I understand correctly, treat the surface you're measuring as one plate in a capacitor and the meter probe as the other plate and measure the charge across the plates. In that case, your arm might simply have a charge on it that the meter is measuring. I don't really know the details of these devices, but your pen might've come with a manual that tells you how it works.
SharkyMan
Oct22-12, 03:58 AM
I agree, I am supposed to touch a conductive plate around the electrical device, but i don't have to do that, all I am doing is standing (I've tried this in many rooms and outdoors) and if I make contact with any part of my skin on my arm or face the volt alarm sounds at its highest sound.
zoobyshoe
Oct24-12, 03:18 AM
P: 5,625
Can you link to an Ad for the meter?

Register to reply