Register to reply

Physical meaning of Differential Cross Section in scattering

Share this thread:
Fizicks1
Dec4-12, 07:46 AM
P: 39
I'm learning scattering theory from Griffiths' book, and I don't really understand the meaning of differential cross section; it's one of those things that I find hard to conceptualize and give a physical meaning to. The most intuitive description he gives is "the proportionality factor between dσ and dΩ, and that isn't very satisfying.

If anyone can give me an intuitive physical interpretation to the differential cross section, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
mfb
Dec4-12, 11:00 AM
Mentor
P: 11,917
Consider the total cross-section for a process (particles -> collision -> other particles): It roughly corresponds to a probability that the process happens. But then you don't know in which directions the resulting particles fly, and with which energy. The differential cross-section gives you this information.
jtbell
Dec4-12, 11:50 AM
Mentor
P: 11,781
Maybe this will help:

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...96#post3239196

Register to reply