Interaction between neutrons and nuclei during scattering

In summary, the scattering cross-section of different elements in X-ray spectroscopy is proportional to the atomic (electron) number, while in neutron scattering, the situation becomes more complicated due to the interactions between neutrons and nuclei. The strong force is responsible for this interaction, and there are various models that attempt to explain the trend in scattering amplitude among different elements. These include the liquid drop model, the shell model, and the possibility of resonance scattering. Overall, the interactions between neutrons and nuclei are complex and require further study to fully understand.
Mayan Fung
TL;DR Summary
How neutrons interact with nuclei during scattering?
When we learn about the scattering of a particle, the context is usually a charge shooting towards a Coulomb potential. With some assumptions, we can derive the scattering cross-section pretty reasonably. Therefore, the scattering cross-section of different elements in X-ray spectroscopy is proportional to the atomic(electron) number (because X-ray interacts with the electron cloud).

When it comes to neutron scattering, the situation becomes complicated. Intuitively, the scattering amplitude should also be, in some way, proportional to atomic number. However, there is no obvious pattern, as shown in the attached figure. Many books and notes on neutron scattering do not address the interactions between neutrons and nuclei in a complete theoretical framework. Many assume that the scattering section is known and focus on the interpretation of the data in a neutron scattering spectroscopy. Due to my limited knowledge about the fundamental forces, I suspect that strong force should be responsible for the interaction (I guess this is the "Potential scattering contribution" labeled in the attached figure). I wonder if there is a complex theoretical explanation of the scattering amplitude trend in the elements? How are the neutrons interacting with the nuclei? I am not looking for precise computation of each element. I am just curious about the factors and models describing a neutron scattering with a nucleus, instead of assuming the interaction as a black-box process. Thanks!
1624713113108.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Mayan Fung said:
I suspect that strong force should be responsible for the interaction (I guess this is the "Potential scattering contribution" labeled in the attached figure).
You are right. An atomic nucleus is a complex system for which many different models have been developed. One is the liquid drop model that provides a rather coarse description (and may give rise to that smooth 'potential scattering' contribution). Another is the shell model, and depending on the exact numbers of protons and neutrons (odd or even) the spins of the nucleons can be stacked up quite differently from nucleus to nucleus. Then also the scattering amplitudes for the different nucleons would add up differently. And there may be resonance scattering when a neutron might form an intermediate state with the nucleus. Complicated indeed. :-)

Likes Mayan Fung and vanhees71

1. What is scattering?

Scattering is a physical phenomenon in which particles or waves are deflected or redirected from their original path after interacting with other particles or structures.

2. How do neutrons interact with nuclei during scattering?

Neutrons interact with nuclei through the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding the nucleus together. This force is mediated by subatomic particles called mesons, which are exchanged between the neutron and nucleus during the scattering process.

3. What factors influence the outcome of neutron-nucleus scattering?

The outcome of neutron-nucleus scattering is influenced by several factors, including the energy of the neutron, the size and structure of the nucleus, and the angle at which the neutron approaches the nucleus. The spin of the neutron and the nuclear spin also play a role in the scattering process.

4. What information can be obtained from studying neutron-nucleus scattering?

Studying neutron-nucleus scattering can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of nuclei, such as their size, shape, and energy levels. It can also help us understand the fundamental interactions between particles and the forces that govern them.

5. How is neutron-nucleus scattering used in practical applications?

Neutron-nucleus scattering is used in a variety of practical applications, including nuclear reactors, nuclear weapons, and medical imaging. It is also an important tool for studying the properties of materials, such as determining the crystal structure of a substance or analyzing the composition of a sample.