Lens power/focal length question

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question about the focal length and power of a +20 diopter lens placed in a tank of water with an index of 1.33. Different equations were used to solve the problem, but the correct answer was determined to be a focal length of 0.20 m and a power of 5.11 diopters. The discrepancy between the two initial answers was due to using different indices of refraction for the lens and the surrounding medium.
StonieJ
A friend and I are getting conflicting answers for a focal length/power question. He says he gets 22.5 diopters, whereas I get 5.1 diopters, so I was wondering who's screwing up. Here is the question and my answer:

Q: If a +20 diopter lens is a symmetric double convex lens of index 1.50, what is its focal length and power when placed in a tank of water with index 1.33?

A:

Code:
f = 1/d = 1/20 = 0.05 m

Using lens maker's equation:

1/f = (n1/n2 - 1) (1/r1 - 1/r2)

Let (1/r1 - 1/r2) = K.

Solve for K in air (which will be the same in water).

1/0.05 m = (1.50 / 1.00 - 1)K
20 = (0.5)K
K = 40

Now plug in values for water:

1/f = (1.50/1.33 - 1) (40)
1/f = 5.1 diopters
f = 0.20 m

A priori, it seems to make sense that the focal length would increase and the power would decrease. Since the change of light going from water to the lens is less than the change of light going from air to the lens (in terms of indices of refraction), it seems that the light should be less bent in water and therefore travel further before converging to an image.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I seem to have a third opinion. :smile:

I don't recognize the equation you're using. The "lensmaker's equation" that I learned is:
[tex]\frac{1}{f} = (n-1)\left ( \frac{1}{R_1} - \frac{1}{ R_2} \right ) [/tex]

In your problem [itex] \left ( \frac{1}{R_1} - \frac{1}{ R_2} \right ) [/itex] is constant so call it k and we have just
[tex]\frac{1}{f} = k(n-1)[/tex]
[tex]20 = k(1.50-1)[/tex]
[tex]k = 40[/tex]
And then, in water:
[tex]\frac{1}{f} = 40(1.33-1)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{f} = 13.2 \; \text{diopters} \: = .076 \; \text{m}[/tex]

Actually, I wasn't too familiar with that form of the lens maker's equation either, but the place I got it from is located here:

http://online.cctt.org/physicslab/content/Phy1/lessonnotes/thinlensequation/lensmakerequation.asp

(And I also noticed it here: http://gecko.gc.maricopa.edu/~medgar/RayDiagram/

and here

http://astro1.panet.utoledo.edu/~rgb/lens.htm)

I don't doubt that your answer is correct (considering a change of focal length of only a few centimeters is much more likely than about 15), but I'm still curious as to why exactly it works out. For example, when you solved for the value of K in air, you used the index of refraction of the lens, but when you solved for the focal length in the second part, you used the index of refraction of water. It just seems somewhat odd to at one point use the index of the material and in the second use the index of the medium. It seems like the indices of both the material and medium should be included together all the time, especially when the medium is changing (this is coming from a definitely NON-physics student, so forgive the egregious mistakes).

Just out of curiousity, what would be mathematically wrong with the following (which is yet ANOTHER mutation of this problem I've come up with):

Code:
The lens maker's equation more formally is:

n1/f = (n2 - n1) (1/r1 - 1/r2), where (1/r1 - 1/r2) = K.

In this case, n2 is the index of the material and n1 is the index of the medium

Let n = index of lens.
Let na = index of air.
Let nw = index of water.

In the case of air, we can solve for K by doing:

na/f = (n - na)(K)
1/0.05 = (1.5 - 1.0)(K) 
20 = (1.5 - 1.0)(K)
K = 40

But now in water...

nw/f = (n - nw)(K)
1.33/f = (1.5 - 1.33)(40)
1.33/f = 6.8 diopters
1/f = 5.11 diopters
f = 0.20 m

Which brings me back to the answer I originally got.

This problem will be the death of me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I guess my mind was somewhere else. You are right. I should have written:

in water:
[tex]\frac{1}{f} = 40 \left( \frac{1.50}{1.33} -1 \right )[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{f} = 5.11 \; \text{diopters} \: = 0.20 \; \text{m}[/tex]

What's important is not the index of refraction itself, but the ratio of the index of the lens to the index of the surrounding medium. In air the ratio is 1.50, in water the ratio is only 1.13. This accounts for the relatively large change in focal length.

Excellent. Thanks!

Related to Lens power/focal length question

1. What is the relationship between lens power and focal length?

Lens power and focal length are closely related. Lens power refers to the ability of a lens to bend light, and is measured in diopters. Focal length, on the other hand, is the distance between the lens and the point where light converges to form a sharp image. As the power of a lens increases, the focal length decreases, meaning the lens can bend light more strongly and bring it to a focus at a shorter distance.

2. How do I calculate the lens power from the focal length?

To calculate the lens power from the focal length, you can use the formula P = 1/f, where P is the lens power in diopters and f is the focal length in meters. For example, if a lens has a focal length of 0.5 meters, its power would be P = 1/0.5 = 2 diopters.

3. Can you explain the concept of magnification and how it relates to lens power and focal length?

Magnification is the process of making an object appear larger in a photograph or through a microscope. This is achieved by using a lens with a shorter focal length, which increases the lens power and allows for a closer focus on the subject. The greater the magnification, the larger the image appears in relation to the actual object, and the shorter the focal length of the lens.

4. Is there a limit to how much a lens power can be increased?

Yes, there is a limit to how much a lens power can be increased. This is due to the physical properties of the lens, including the curvature of its surface and the materials used. As the lens power increases, the curvature becomes more extreme and can eventually lead to distortion and image degradation. Additionally, extremely high lens powers can also result in a very narrow depth of field, making it difficult to maintain focus on the subject.

5. What factors can affect the lens power and focal length of a lens?

The lens power and focal length of a lens can be affected by several factors, including the physical properties of the lens materials, the curvature of the lens surface, and the distance between the lens and the subject. Additionally, the type of lens (such as a convex or concave lens) can also impact its power and focal length. Other external factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also affect the performance of a lens and alter its power and focal length.