Can Aufbau and Hund's Rule explain electron filling after EC?

• Thread starter Notgiven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gap
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of an electron from the 2s subshell filling the gap in the 1s subshell after electron capture. The speaker believes this is not possible, citing the Aufbau principle and Hund's Rule of maximum multiplicity, which state that electrons fill orbitals in a specific order and with maximum spin before pairing up. The speaker also mentions the importance of quantum numbers in this process. However, they are unsure of the exact explanation and suggest the discussion should be moved to the chemistry section.
Notgiven
Is it possible that an electron of the 2s orbit fills the gap in 1s after electron capture?

i believe no and it has something to do with the quantum-numbers but i can't find a conclusive explanation. or maybe i am totally wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Notgiven said:
Is it possible that an electron of the 2s orbit fills the gap in 1s after electron capture?

i believe no and it has something to do with the quantum-numbers but i can't find a conclusive explanation. or maybe i am totally wrong.

Hint : What does Aufbau principle and Hund's Rule of maximum multiplicity state ? And please use the words- subshells and orbitals instead of orbits !

Edit: Need to be moved to chemistry section..

Last edited:

1. What exactly is "Filling the gap after EC"?

"Filling the gap after EC" refers to the process of addressing any deficiencies or gaps in knowledge or understanding that may arise after conducting an experiment or study using electrochemistry (EC) techniques.

2. Why is it important to fill the gap after EC?

Filling the gap after EC is important because it allows for a more comprehensive and accurate understanding of the results obtained from the experiment. It also helps to identify any potential errors or limitations in the experimental design or procedures.

3. How can one go about filling the gap after EC?

There are a few ways to fill the gap after EC, including conducting further experiments or studies to gather additional data, reviewing and analyzing the existing data in more detail, or consulting with other experts in the field for their insights and perspectives.

4. Is filling the gap after EC a common practice in scientific research?

Yes, filling the gap after EC is a common practice in scientific research as it helps to ensure the validity and reliability of the results obtained. It also allows for further advancements and improvements in the field of electrochemistry.

5. Can filling the gap after EC lead to new discoveries or breakthroughs?

Yes, filling the gap after EC can lead to new discoveries or breakthroughs as it allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying mechanisms and processes being studied. This can potentially lead to new insights, hypotheses, and avenues for further research.