Electron-positron collisions

by IntuitioN
Tags: collisions, electronpositron
IntuitioN
Mar23-05, 05:43 AM
P: 20
I was told that when electrons and positrons collide they produce 2 photons of 0.511MeV each. But what happens to the kinetic energy of the electrons and positrons? It just feels to me that the energy is not conserved.

I was told somewhere that the relative KE of the particles to each other is 0, but I don't understand this.

Any help would be greately appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
marlon
Mar23-05, 05:45 AM
P: 4,008
Quote Quote by IntuitioN
I was told that when electrons and positrons collide they produce 2 photons of 0.511MeV each. But what happens to the kinetic energy of the electrons and positrons? It just feels to me that the energy is not conserved.
All the energy from is positrons and electrons are 'converted' into two photons. Energy is very much conserved. This is easy to prove when just writing down the energy and momentum conservation laws.

Regards
marlon
IntuitioN
Mar23-05, 05:49 AM
P: 20
I think in the other thread anti_crank mentioned that the 0.511MeV photons produced is only when the collision occurs with the positron + electron at rest. But then how do they "collide." Don't they have to move close to each other, therefore they have KE just before collision?

BenLillie
Mar23-05, 12:26 PM
P: 25

Electron-positron collisions

Quote Quote by IntuitioN
I think in the other thread anti_crank mentioned that the 0.511MeV photons produced is only when the collision occurs with the positron + electron at rest. But then how do they "collide." Don't they have to move close to each other, therefore they have KE just before collision?
"At rest" in this context means that the velocities are significantly smaller than the speed of light, so that the kinetic energy is small compared to the rest mass.

You are correct that the photon energy will be shifted due to the kinetic energy in the collision. So instead of seeing a spike at exactly 511 keV, there will be a distribution with some width. Again, it's a small effect.

Note that when you see actual data looking for the 511 line from astrophysical sources there are many other effects that distort the line-shape as well (doppler broadening, etc.... There's a long list).
zefram_c
Mar24-05, 02:51 AM
P: 260
Quote Quote by IntuitioN
All that's required is a partial overlap of their wavefunctions to count as a "collision". Think of the positronium atom: in the ground state the electron's wave fcn vanishes at the positron "nucleus" and there is no "motion" as defined clasically - yet the system still decays.
nrqed
Mar25-05, 10:58 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,886
Quote Quote by zefram_c
All that's required is a partial overlap of their wavefunctions to count as a "collision". Think of the positronium atom: in the ground state the electron's wave fcn vanishes at the positron "nucleus" and there is no "motion" as defined clasically - yet the system still decays.
Actually, the wavefunction does NOT vanish at the origin. The decay rate is indeed proportional to the square of the wavefunction at the origin.

Pat

Register to reply