Is the Sequence a_n = n / (2^(n+2)) Monotonic and Bounded?

• Thread starter physics=world
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary: The goal is to show that an + 1 < an, not "= an". What I had in mind was to break up the right-most fraction into two fractions, one with n in the numerator and the other with 1 in the numerator. Then you can compare these two fractions with an and see which one is smaller.
physics=world
1. Determine whether the sequence with the given nth term is monotonic & bounded.

a_n = (n) / (2^(n+2))2.
b_n < b_n+1

(n) / (2^(n+2)) < (n+1) / (2^(n+3))

I multiply both side by (2^(n+2)) and (2^(n+3))
(n)(2^(n+3)) < (n+1)(2^(n+2))
Then i distribute and got:

(n)(2^(n+3)) < (n)(2^(n+2)) + (2^(n+2))
this is where I am stuck. where do i go from here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
physics=world said:
1. Determine whether the sequence with the given nth term is monotonic & bounded.

a_n = (n) / (2^(n+2))

b_n < b_n+1

You can't start with the inequality above, since that's what you want to end with if the sequence is monotonically decreasing. You can use the fact that 2n + 3 = 2 * 2n + 2.
physics=world said:

Then i distribute and got:

(n)(2^(n+3)) < (n)(2^(n+2)) + (2^(n+2))

this is where I am stuck. where do i go from here?

Mark44 said:
You can't start with the inequality above, since that's what you want to end with if the sequence is monotonically decreasing. You can use the fact that 2n + 3 = 2 * 2n + 2.

so just by knowing that 2n + 3 < 2 * 2n + 2 is good enough?

physics=world said:
so just by knowing that 2n + 3 < 2 * 2n + 2 is good enough?

No, and it didn't say that 2n + 3 < 2 * 2n + 2.

2n + 3 = 2 * 2n + 2

okay. so what's next or is that it?

physics=world said:

a_n = (n) / (2^(n+2))
Below you are starting out assuming ##a_n < a_{n+1}## which, as Mark pointed out, you don't know. Maybe you could try ##a_n\, ?\, a_{n+1}## and leave the inequality unknown to explore and see where it leads.

At that step why don't you try dividing out all the 2's you can. Maybe you can get to where you can decide if either ? = < or ? = > makes a true statement. Then what you need to do is start with that true statement and see if you can work backwards to what you are trying to prove.

LCKurtz said:
At that step why don't you try dividing out all the 2's you can. Maybe you can get to where you can decide if either ? = < or ? = > makes a true statement. Then what you need to do is start with that true statement and see if you can work backwards to what you are trying to prove.
okay . so if i divide out the 2's then i get

((2^n+3) / (2^n+2)) ? (n+1) / (n)

2 ? ((n+1) / n)

at this point, I am i doing it right

LCKurtz said:

physics=world said:
okay . so if i divide out the 2's then i get

((2^n+3) / (2^n+2)) ? (n+1) / (n)

2 ? ((n+1) / n)

at this point, I am i doing it right

You tell me. Have you simplified it enough that you know whether to use < or > ? What if you multiply both sides by n and keep simplifying?

i would get n ? 1

LCKurtz said:
You tell me. Have you simplified it enough that you know whether to use < or > ? What if you multiply both sides by n and keep simplifying?

physics=world said:
i would get n ? 1

What about my other question?

yes i have simplify enough.

but how i do i know if its < or >?

OK. Now do you see how to start with "if ##n>1## then" and end with the statement that your sequence is monotone and whether it is increasing or decreasing?

physics=world said:
yes i have simplify enough.

but how i do i know if its < or >?

Which one is true in your problem? n > 1 or n < 1? You need to start with a true statement and work backwards now.

would i just plug in values for n which is n>1 and compare the values to see it its monotonic?

0.125 > 0.093 > 0.0625 > 0.039 ...

when i plug in values n > 1 into the function

physics=world said:
would i just plug in values for n which is n>1 and compare the values to see it its monotonic?

physics=world said:
0.125 > 0.093 > 0.0625 > 0.039 ...

when i plug in values n > 1 into the function

I'm out of time and you obviously aren't getting the point of this discussion. Maybe Mark44 will take it from here. I have to go now.

physics=world,
Now that you have played with this for a while, what's your sense here?
Is an + 1 > an?
Or is an + 1 < an?

an + 1 < an

OK, so now let's see if we can prove it.

I'm going to take a different tack than LCKurtz did, since you didn't seem to be following what he was doing.

You would like to show that an + 1 < an

Here's the start of the argument.
$$ a_{n + 1} = \frac{n + 1}{2^{n+3}} =(1/2)\frac{n + 1}{2^{n + 2}} = (1/2)[\frac{n}{2^{n+2}} + \frac{1}{2^{n+2}}] $$

We would eventually like to come out of this with "< an". What can you do with the right-most part of the equation above?

Mark44 said:
OK, so now let's see if we can prove it.

I'm going to take a different tack than LCKurtz did, since you didn't seem to be following what he was doing.

You would like to show that an + 1 < an

Here's the start of the argument.
$$ a_{n + 1} = \frac{n + 1}{2^{n+3}} =(1/2)\frac{n + 1}{2^{n + 2}} = (1/2)[\frac{n}{2^{n+2}} + \frac{1}{2^{n+2}}] $$

We would eventually like to come out of this with "< an". What can you do with the right-most part of the equation above?

can we simplify?

physics=world said:
can we simplify?
That's not a good idea.

Related to Is the Sequence a_n = n / (2^(n+2)) Monotonic and Bounded?

1. What is a monotonic sequence?

A monotonic sequence is a sequence of numbers that either always increases or always decreases. In other words, the terms in the sequence are either always getting larger, or always getting smaller.

2. How do I determine if a sequence is monotonic?

To determine if a sequence is monotonic, you can look at the terms in the sequence and see if they are always increasing or always decreasing. You can also graph the sequence and see if it forms a straight line.

3. What is the difference between a monotonic increasing sequence and a monotonic decreasing sequence?

A monotonic increasing sequence is a sequence where the terms always get larger, while a monotonic decreasing sequence is a sequence where the terms always get smaller.

4. What is the importance of monotonic sequences in mathematics?

Monotonic sequences are important in mathematics because they allow us to make predictions about future terms in the sequence. They also help us understand the behavior of functions and their derivatives.

5. How can monotonic sequences be used in real-life applications?

Monotonic sequences can be used in real-life applications such as in the stock market, where the price of a stock can be represented by a monotonic sequence. They can also be used in predicting population growth or decay, as well as in analyzing trends in data.