Does Urine Absorb Atoms from the Air and Create a Vacuum in a Closed Container?

• Thread starter paldin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atmosphere
In summary, you are urinating into a plastic bottle and finding that the bottle holds a vacuum the following morning even without temperature fluctuations. You are not sure what is happening but think it may be due to some sort of chemical reaction. You will experiment with warming some water and see if the vacuum is stronger.
paldin
I have been urinating into a plastic bottle lately (I will not elaborate why), and have been finding the bottle to hold a vacuum the following morning. What I find strange is that even without temperature fluctuations, my bottle produces a vacuum after several hours of being left alone. It is in an otherwise dark and stable place.

Does urine absorb atoms from the air or otherwise convert to a composition that is a lesser volume?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You said this happens "even without temperature fluctuations". Are you just referring to the ambient temperature? I would imagine if you cap the bottle immediately after filling it, the liquid and air trapped in the bottle would be warmer than the ambient temperature. After cooling, it would contract. Don't think there's any chemistry happening here. I would try the same thing with the same approximate volume of warm water and see what you get.

I use a 1 gallon container and have experimented with the volume before emptying it. When I introduce urine to the container in the hottest part of the day and find a vacuum the next morning when it is significantly colder, I am not surprised. It is when I introduce urine to a moderately full container during the coldest part of the day and still find a vacuum in the warmest part of the day, that has me astonished.

Unless my ≈98° liquid cools so much as to condense the contents of a mostly full 1 gallon container in an ambient temperature ≈90°, I suspect something chemical is occurring. I suppose I should calculate the volume and compare with STP and gas laws, but if urine is known to absorb atmosphere, then I could save myself that effort.

For the sake of argument, I'll warm some water (close to my body temp) and compare the difference. It may turn out to seem like a stronger vacuum than is actually present.

What is "Atmosphere absorbed by urine"?

"Atmosphere absorbed by urine" refers to the process in which the gases present in the atmosphere, such as nitrogen, oxygen, and carbon dioxide, are taken in by the body through breathing and are eventually excreted in the form of urine.

Why is it important to study the atmosphere absorbed by urine?

Studying the atmosphere absorbed by urine can provide insight into the composition of the air we breathe and how it affects our bodies. It can also help identify potential health risks associated with air pollution and inform environmental policies.

What factors can affect the amount of atmosphere absorbed by urine?

The amount of atmosphere absorbed by urine can be influenced by various factors such as altitude, temperature, humidity, and air quality. For example, at higher altitudes, the air is thinner and contains less oxygen, leading to a decrease in the amount of atmosphere absorbed by urine.

Is there a limit to how much atmosphere can be absorbed by urine?

Yes, there is a limit to how much atmosphere can be absorbed by urine. The human body can only absorb a certain amount of gases from the atmosphere before reaching equilibrium. Once this limit is reached, the excess gases are excreted through breathing or in the form of urine.

Can the atmosphere absorbed by urine be used as a source of energy?

No, the atmosphere absorbed by urine cannot be used as a source of energy. The gases absorbed by the body are essential for bodily functions and cannot be converted into energy. Additionally, urine primarily consists of water and waste products and does not contain a significant amount of absorbed gases.