Project: multiple speakers for an ipod

In summary, you can power multiple speakers with a wall transformer, by powering them with an amplifier and then connecting the amplifier to the speakers.
Labrite34
Hey all,

I am hoping to make a system that can play multiple, varying sized speakers. I want to frankenstein this with speakers I can find around my house. I have a bunch of old computer speakers and even a few subwoofers which I would like to utilize (if possible). I am assuming that I need to make a highpass and lowpass filter (highpass to the smaller speakers, lowpass to the largers). I want it to run on, I suppose, two 9-volt batteries.

Just looking for some direction from you guys: steps needed to start my design. How I can properly power the multiple varying sized speakers? I do have a Digital Circuits book with Class-A and Class-B amplifier tutorials in it (but I never asked my teacher for guidance with this sort of thing).

I am hoping to build this on a board and epoxy it solid. What things should I be aware of? Please point me in the right direction! Thanks all.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I measured the resistances of a few various speakers; 5.6Ω, 6.0Ω, and 30Ω from small headphone speakers (which I am assuming are pointless to use). If I were to use, let's say 4 speakers, it would be much easier if they were all of the same resistance so I could wire them in parallel... but if they were different, could I simply match the speakers resistance to the highest (by adding a resistor in series to the lower resistance speakers)?? Will it be draw too much power to power 4 speakers that are 5 ohm?

I suggest dis-assembling those speakers and identifying the IC amplifiers the manufacturers used.
You'll find very clever audio amplifiers and reading their datasheets(which you'll find on internet) is quite educational. With a little effort you can figure out how to hook them up.

You won't run a subwoofer from a 9V battery, but you'll find interesting audio amplifiers inside most subs.
For now stick to powering them with wall mounted transformers similar to this:
http://www.mpja.com/12VDC1A-Plug-Supply-Hon-Kwang/productinfo/19466 PS/

I want to build a circuit what takes the signal from my iPod's aux cable, amplifies it, and plays it on speakers. I want to use multiple speakers with various resistances. What kind of an amplifier can I build? Should the speakers be wired in series, or parallel? Should I use resistors in series with the lowered rated resistance speakers to equalize them all to the same resistance? Thanks

If I wanted to power a bunch of different speakers, at different resistances, what should I do? I want to have 6 speakers being powered, but some are 6 ohm, some are 4 ohm and some at 8 ohm. I found a few schematics which give me a good idea, but they all are powering one speaker.

What is "Project: multiple speakers for an ipod"?

"Project: multiple speakers for an ipod" is a research project focused on developing a technology that allows multiple speakers to be connected to an iPod for better sound quality and enhanced listening experience.

Why is this project important?

This project is important because it addresses the issue of limited sound quality and volume from single speaker devices, such as an iPod. By having multiple speakers connected, the sound quality and volume can be significantly improved, providing a better listening experience for users.

How does this technology work?

The technology works by using a special audio adapter that connects to the iPod and splits the audio signal into multiple channels. These channels are then sent to individual speakers, allowing for a wider sound distribution and improved sound quality.

What are the potential benefits of this project?

The potential benefits of this project include improved sound quality and volume, the ability to customize speaker configurations, and the convenience of having multiple speakers connected to one device. It can also enhance the overall listening experience for users, whether it be for personal use or for parties and events.

Is this technology already available in the market?

While similar technologies may already exist in the market, this project aims to develop a more advanced and efficient system specifically for iPods. Further research and development is needed before this technology can be made available to consumers.