Project: multiple speakers for an ipod

by Labrite34
Tags: ipod, multiple, project, speakers
Labrite34
May25-13, 04:22 PM
P: 4
Hey all,

I am hoping to make a system that can play multiple, varying sized speakers. I want to frankenstein this with speakers I can find around my house. I have a bunch of old computer speakers and even a few subwoofers which I would like to utilize (if possible). I am assuming that I need to make a highpass and lowpass filter (highpass to the smaller speakers, lowpass to the largers). I want it to run on, I suppose, two 9-volt batteries.

Just looking for some direction from you guys: steps needed to start my design. How I can properly power the multiple varying sized speakers? I do have a Digital Circuits book with Class-A and Class-B amplifier tutorials in it (but I never asked my teacher for guidance with this sort of thing).

I am hoping to build this on a board and epoxy it solid. What things should I be aware of? Please point me in the right direction! Thanks all.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
Labrite34
May25-13, 06:17 PM
I measured the resistances of a few various speakers; 5.6Ω, 6.0Ω, and 30Ω from small headphone speakers (which I am assuming are pointless to use). If I were to use, lets say 4 speakers, it would be much easier if they were all of the same resistance so I could wire them in parallel... but if they were different, could I simply match the speakers resistance to the highest (by adding a resistor in series to the lower resistance speakers)?? Will it be draw too much power to power 4 speakers that are 5 ohm?
jim hardy
May25-13, 11:16 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,138
I suggest dis-assembling those speakers and identifying the IC amplifiers the manufacturers used.
You'll find very clever audio amplifiers and reading their datasheets(which you'll find on internet) is quite educational. With a little effort you can figure out how to hook them up.

You won't run a subwoofer from a 9V battery, but you'll find interesting audio amplifiers inside most subs.
For now stick to powering them with wall mounted transformers similar to this:
http://www.mpja.com/12VDC1A-Plug-Sup...fo/19466%20PS/

Labrite34
Jun7-13, 10:42 AM

Project: multiple speakers for an ipod

I want to build a circuit what takes the signal from my iPod's aux cable, amplifies it, and plays it on speakers. I want to use multiple speakers with various resistances. What kind of an amplifier can I build? Should the speakers be wired in series, or parallel? Should I use resistors in series with the lowered rated resistance speakers to equalize them all to the same resistance? Thanks
jim hardy
Jun7-13, 11:08 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,138
I'd suggest you digest this hobby thread, which was started by somebody with the same question.

http://www.discovercircuits.com/ubbt...er=7744&page=1

then check some of the audio sites mentioned in that thread.

You can have a lot of fun with hi-fi these days, there's kits for anything from tube amplifiers to the modern switchers.
Labrite34
Jun7-13, 12:20 PM
If I wanted to power a bunch of different speakers, at different resistances, what should I do? I want to have 6 speakers being powered, but some are 6 ohm, some are 4 ohm and some at 8 ohm. I found a few schematics which give me a good idea, but they all are powering one speaker.

Register to reply