Share this thread:
DeeAytch
May25-13, 11:30 PM
P: 23
They have to have some color, yeah?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
phinds
May25-13, 11:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,330
Quote Quote by DeeAytch View Post
No, why would you think they have color when they are called "black"??? To have color a thing has to radiate. Black holes may do Hawking Radiation but that certainly could not be called a color and they do not otherwise radiate (the ACCRETION DISK may radiate but that is outside the BH).

What DO they look like? They look like a hole in space. A black hole. See how simple some things are?
Danger
May26-13, 12:56 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Yeah, you can't "see" one. The predominant colour, which comes from the accretion disc rather than the hole itself, is gamma/X-ray.

OmCheeto
May26-13, 01:26 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,431
What do black holes look like?

According to this website, black is a color.

ps. Black holes look like the eye of the bird that smacked into my window this morning. I held her for at least half an hour before she flew away. She was quite stunned by her near instantaneous deceleration.
Danger
May26-13, 01:44 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
According to this website, black is a color.
Clever, my son... fiendishly clever. You have, however, overlooked the cause of your doom. (Where is the smilie for wringing one's hands in evil glee?)
The colour or lack thereof regarding a black hole is irrelevant. Since it (the singularity) is literally a "mathematical point" of zero size, it is too small to be seen.
WannabeNewton
May26-13, 01:54 AM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,621
A black hole singularity need not be a point, see Kerr black holes. With regards to its near thermal black body nature, see the discussion here: http://physics.stackexchange.com/que...ect-black-body

A black hole has a very precise, mathematical definition which, unfortunately, will be too difficult to understand if you have never studied GR. This wiki article describes things rather well without using much math: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_h..._and_structure
OmCheeto
May26-13, 02:13 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,431
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
Clever, my son... fiendishly clever. You have, however, overlooked the cause of your doom. (Where is the smilie for wringing one's hands in evil glee?)
The colour or lack thereof regarding a black hole is irrelevant. Since it (the singularity) is literally a "mathematical point" of zero size, it is too small to be seen.
Unfortunately, I don't believe in "mathematical points" of zero size.

That would yield an infinity.

And I don't believe in that either.

And I need a new brain. The image of my birds eye looks nothing like a black hole...

Naty1
May26-13, 10:29 AM
P: 5,632
There is an illustration of a black hole here...one without an exterior accretion disk blocking our view.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole
Bill_K
May26-13, 10:36 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
See this paper by Bill Ames, for a complete analysis.
stevebd1
Jun2-13, 04:34 AM
P: 608
The top image from this website is '..a general relativistic visualization of a supercomputed magneto-hydrodynamic simulation of a disk and jet around a black hole.'-

http://jila.colorado.edu/~ajsh/insidebh/intro.html
tade
Jun2-13, 06:39 AM
P: 145
All you need to know is that the milky way goes into a black hole. Just like..you know...

Register to reply