What temperature does p-Ge translates from extrinsic to intrinsic ?

In summary, to calculate the expected transition temperature and other values for a p-type germanium sample, you will need to use the acceptor concentration, maximum mobility and concentration values, and consider the dominant scattering mechanisms.
bushel
Hi,

I have expermentally measured the resistivity, Hall mobility concentration of a p-type germanium sample at the range of 300K-700K. The task I want to accomplish is, given the fact that I know NA= 4.5E17 and acceptor is boron.

- How can I calculate the expected transition temperature from extrinsic to intrinsic?
- How can I assume the expected resistivity, mobility and concentration values so I can compare them with the experimental values? Which scattering mechanisms will dominate?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The transition temperature from extrinsic to intrinsic conductivity is typically taken as the temperature at which the mobility and concentration of the majority carriers reach their maximum values. To calculate the expected transition temperature, you can use the following equation: Tt = (2*k*NA) / (ln(mu_max * n_max)) where k is the Boltzmann constant, NA is the acceptor concentration, mu_max is the maximum mobility, and n_max is the maximum concentration. To calculate the expected resistivity, mobility, and concentration values, you will need to consider the scattering mechanisms that are expected to dominate in the sample. For p-type germanium at temperatures between 300K and 700K, the dominant scattering mechanisms are likely to be ionized impurity scattering, acoustic phonon scattering, and piezoelectric scattering. You can then use a drift-diffusion model to calculate the expected resistivity, mobility, and concentration values for these scattering mechanisms.

1. What does "p-Ge" stand for?

"p-Ge" stands for "p-type Germanium", which refers to a type of germanium semiconductor material that has an abundance of positively charged carriers (holes) for conducting electricity.

2. What is the difference between extrinsic and intrinsic in terms of semiconductor materials?

Extrinsic refers to a semiconductor material that has been intentionally doped with impurities to change its electrical properties, such as increasing its conductivity. Intrinsic refers to a semiconductor material that is pure and has not been intentionally doped, meaning it has equal numbers of positively and negatively charged carriers.

3. How does temperature affect the conductivity of p-Ge?

As the temperature increases, the conductivity of p-Ge also increases. This is because the increased thermal energy causes more electrons to jump from the valence band to the conduction band, creating more charge carriers and allowing for easier flow of electricity.

4. At what temperature does p-Ge transition from extrinsic to intrinsic?

The transition from extrinsic to intrinsic in p-Ge occurs at a temperature of around 300 Kelvin (or 27 degrees Celsius). At this temperature, the thermal energy is high enough for all the impurity atoms to be ionized, resulting in equal numbers of positive and negative charge carriers and making the material intrinsic.

5. How is the transition from extrinsic to intrinsic in p-Ge important in terms of semiconductor devices?

The transition from extrinsic to intrinsic in p-Ge is crucial for the operation of semiconductor devices. This is because intrinsic materials have better electrical properties, such as higher resistivity and lower leakage current, making them more suitable for use in electronic devices. Additionally, the transition temperature can be controlled through doping, allowing for the precise tuning of device performance.