Register to reply

Complex conjugates of functions

by brmath
Tags: complex-analysis
Share this thread:
brmath
Aug25-13, 12:36 PM
P: 329
I am looking at a complex function f(z) and want to know something about f(z)f*(1/z*). We could assume for now that f(z) is analytic or at least meromorphic. Are there any identities involving this product? Is there any way to decompose the f*(1/z*) into a function of f?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Mandelbroth
Aug25-13, 03:23 PM
P: 615
Quote Quote by brmath View Post
I am looking at a complex function f(z) and want to know something about f(z)f*(1/z*). We could assume for now that f(z) is analytic or at least meromorphic. Are there any identities involving this product? Is there any way to decompose the f*(1/z*) into a function of f?
Caveat: You mean "a complex function ##f##." ##f(z)## is the image (or "output") of ##z## under the function ##f##. This is a common abuse of notation.

Suppose ##f(x+iy)= u(x,y)+iv(x,y)##, where ##u## and ##v## are real-valued functions. Then, we have that ##\bar{f}(\frac{1}{x-iy})=\bar{f}(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}+i\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})=u(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}, \frac{y}{x^2+y^2})-iv(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})##.

Thus, we have ##f(z)\bar{f}(\bar{z}^{-1})=u(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2})u(x,y)+v(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2}, \frac{y}{x^2+y^2})v(x,y)+i (u(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}) v(x,y)-v(\frac{x}{x^2+y^2},\frac{y}{x^2+y^2}) u(x,y))##.
brmath
Aug25-13, 06:58 PM
P: 329
Hi, I'll try not to write f(z) when I mean f. I already know that 1/z* = z/|z|. I had hoped there are some standard indentities or inequalities involving f(z)f*(1/z*).

Register to reply