Moment of inertia of a point mass

In summary, moment of inertia I of a point mass m is calculated by multiplying the mass with the squared distance from the axis of rotation. The distance r is a measure of the distance between the point mass and the axis of rotation. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion and is referenced to a specific point or axis. For a point mass, the moment of inertia is zero when referenced to the center of mass.
geekie weekie
Hello,

This is a very basic question. Wikipedia says moment of inertia I of a point mass m is calculated as:

I = m * r^2

Where, r is distance from the axis of rotation. What this actually mean? I mean what is an r?

Physics news on Phys.org
geekie weekie said:
Where, r is distance from the axis of rotation. What this actually mean? I mean what is an r?

It is a distance, expressed in units of length (meters in the SI).

this is axis of rotation and in front ist point mass not full stop .

it's at r dist from rod

I=mr2

moment of inertia of a point mass with respect to an axis is the product of mass times the distance of the axis
squared.So "r" is the distance of the mass "m" from the axis of roation.

Moment of Inertia of an object has to be referenced to a particular point or axis. Take any object and its MI is a minimum when that reference is through the CM. For a point mass, it is Zero.

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, similar to how mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion. It is calculated by taking the sum of the mass of each individual particle in the object multiplied by the square of its distance to the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia is different from mass in that it specifically measures an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass measures an object's resistance to linear motion. This means that two objects with the same mass can have different moments of inertia, depending on their shape and distribution of mass.

3. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia of a point mass?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a point mass is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the point mass, and r is the distance from the point mass to the axis of rotation.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass affects the moment of inertia because it determines the distance of each particle from the axis of rotation. The farther the particles are from the axis of rotation, the higher the moment of inertia will be. This means that objects with a more spread out distribution of mass will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with a concentrated distribution of mass.

5. How does moment of inertia relate to rotational motion?

Moment of inertia is directly related to rotational motion, as it is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. Objects with a higher moment of inertia will require more torque to rotate at the same angular acceleration as objects with a lower moment of inertia. This is similar to how objects with a higher mass require more force to accelerate at the same rate as objects with a lower mass in linear motion.