Dark matter scattering

by Machoire
Tags: dark, matter, scattering
Machoire
Oct2-13, 02:29 PM
P: 1
Hi,

I recently read the following article http://arxiv.org/pdf/0805.2895v4.pdf which deals with dark matter scattering and I have difficulties in deriving formula (1).

The problem is the following, we have a nucleon (mass m1, velocity u1) scattering from a dark matter particle (mass m2, velocity u2) into an outgoing nucleon (mass m1, velocity v1) and a secondary dark matter particle (masse m'2, velocity v2, with m'2 = m2 - Δm). And we want to know the outgoing velocity of the nucleon v1 as a function of u1 and u2. Both u1 and u2 are assumed to be small compared to c (no relativistic effects).

I started with momentum and energy conservation :

[itex]m_1\vec{u}_1+m_2\vec{u}_2 = m_1\vec{v}_1+m'_2\vec{v}_2[/itex]

and

[itex]m_1\vec{u}^2_1+m_2\vec{u}^2_2 = m_1\vec{v}^2_1+m'_2\vec{v}^2_2 - 2\Delta m c^2[/itex]

But then I'm stuck because I get a formula like equation (1) of the article but in which the following term is missing

[itex]\frac{(m_1\vec{u}_1+m_2\vec{u}_2)^2}{(m_1+m_2)(m_1+m'_2)}[/itex]

and I do not know where it comes from. It looks like it is the product of the center of mass velocity before and after scattering.

Did I forget something in the momentum/energy conservation equations ? More generally, how to deal with this kind of process where total mass is not conserved so that center of mass velocity is discontinuous ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser

Register to reply