Magnetic Flux Question

by Yosty22
Tags: flux, magnetic
Share this thread:
Yosty22
Oct9-13, 07:32 AM
P: 145
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A horizontal rectangular surface has dimensions 3.10cm by 3.05cm and is in a uniform magnetic field that is directed at an angle of 34.5∘ above the horizontal. What must the magnitude of the magnetic field be in order to produce a flux of 4.5E-4 Wb through the surface?

2. Relevant equations

Magnetic Flux = BAcos(θ)

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the above equation, I solved for B, getting B=Flux/Acos(θ)
I then plugged in my numbers: (4.5*10^-4)/((.0305)(.031)cos(34.5)) and got that B should equal 0.5775T. However, it says the answer is wrong, any ideas what I did wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
gneill
Oct9-13, 08:28 AM
Mentor
P: 11,689
I'd suggest that you make a sketch. You're looking for the flux through a horizontal surface, which means you want the vertical component of the B field...

Alternatively, take a vector equation approach and construct vectors for B and the area normal, then expand

##\Phi = \vec{B}\cdot (A\vec{n})##
Yosty22
Oct9-13, 09:11 AM
So how do I go about finding that, though? I understand that I need the vertical component, but I have no idea how to set it up if all I know is the angle?

gneill
Oct9-13, 09:29 AM
Mentor
Magnetic Flux Question

Quote Quote by Yosty22 View Post
So how do I go about finding that, though? I understand that I need the vertical component, but I have no idea how to set it up if all I know is the angle?
Make a sketch! Draw a horizontal line to show your area of interest in profile. Draw a vector or two representing the B field. What angle do you need? You can also choose the appropriate trig function and use the angle as given.

You want the component of B that's parallel to the surface normal of your area.
Attached Thumbnails
Fig1.gif  
Yosty22
Oct9-13, 09:34 AM
Okay, so I would say that B_n (normal component of the B field) = Bsin(34.5), then I can do the flux divided by sin(34.5) times the area, so I have B=4.5*10^-4/((sin34.5)(.031)(.0305)). That way I get B=0.84?
gneill
Oct9-13, 09:40 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Yosty22 View Post
Okay, so I would say that B_n (normal component of the B field) = Bsin(34.5), then I can do the flux divided by sin(34.5) times the area, so I have B=4.5*10^-4/((sin34.5)(.031)(.0305)). That way I get B=0.84?
Sure. Add the appropriate units and you're good.

Register to reply