Finding the magnetic flux from a 3 Dimensional Shape

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnetic flux through each face of a box with a + x-directed uniform magnetic field of 0.2 T filling the space. The equation ΦM = B ⊥ A = BA cos θ is used, and it is determined that there is flux through the sloping face even though that face is not perpendicular to the field. The sign convention for flux is discussed, and it is concluded that for a closed surface, the total flux should be zero for a uniform field. The concept of a closed surface and the conditions for zero flux are explained, and the correct calculation of flux for the bottom and trapezoidal sides is clarified. It is noted that this is a special case for a
Vladi

Homework Statement

In Fig. 32-9 there is a + x-directed uniform magnetic field of 0.2 T filling the space. Find the magnetic flux through each face of the box shown.

Homework Equations

ΦM = B ⊥ A = BA cos θ

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is attached to this post. How do I determine which faces have magnetic flux? I assumed it was only the faces that are perpendicular to the magnetic field, but my books key says otherwise. Thank your for your time.
upload_2017-9-6_14-40-59.png
3d shape.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
OK. As you calculated correctly, there is flux through the sloping face even though that face is not perpendicular to the field.

I guess you rounded each answer to only 1 significant figure since the data is given to only one significant figure. OK.

Are you supposed to consider the sign of the flux? The entire surface of the box is a closed surface. The usual convention is that flux is considered negative wherever the flux enters a closed region and positive where it exits. With this sign convention, the total flux through a closed surface should be zero when the field is uniform.

Likes Vladi
TSny said:
OK. As you calculated correctly, there is flux through the sloping face even though that face is not perpendicular to the field.

I guess you rounded each answer to only 1 significant figure since the data is given to only one significant figure. OK.

Are you supposed to consider the sign of the flux? The entire surface of the box is a closed surface. The usual convention is that flux is considered negative wherever the flux enters a closed region and positive where it exits. With this sign convention, the total flux through a closed surface should be zero when the field is uniform.
If the total flux is zero, does this mean that the surface must be closed and have only one kind of shape(triangle, rectangle, etc)? If this were true, the top face would be equal to zero, but it ain't. Doesn't this imply there are three conditions to consider when you are deciding if the total flux is zero? The surface must be closed, have only one kind of shape, and can't be inclined? If these three conditions hold true, I would say that the back, bottom, and front face is equal to zero. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A "closed surface" is a surface that completely encloses a volume of space. The 6 faces of your box, all together, make a closed surface; i.e., they completely enclose a volume of space (the inside of the box). An individual face, such as the top of the box, does not represent a closed surface. A closed surface can have any shape as long as it completely encloses a volume. The surface of a balloon is a closed surface even if you deform the shape of the surface by squeezing the balloon.

For any closed surface, no matter what it's shape, the total flux through the entire surface will be zero for a uniform field. This assumes that you adopt the sign convention for flux mentioned earlier. (The flux through a closed surface might be zero even if the field is not uniform, but you'll learn the conditions for that when you cover Gauss' law.)

So, the total flux for the entire surface of your box should be zero if you consider the signs of the flux for the individual faces. As a check of your work, you can see if you get a total flux of zero.

Your previous reply cleared many of my misconceptions. What about the bottom and the sides? Do I ignore them? They aren't perpendicular to the magnetic field and I don't understand how flux can enter or exit them. Should I think of a flash light when I solve such problems? If I point a flashlight in the positive x direction, the top region and the front region would cast a shadow. The back, sides, and the bottom would be bright.

Last edited by a moderator:
a.jpg
d.jpg

The sum of flux is close to zero. Does this look good? Or do I have a sign error? Thank you for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
In your first post you said the flux through the bottom and the flux through the front and back trapezoidal sides are zero. That's correct. But now you are calculating them to be nonzero. Why the change?

I don't believe you calculated the areas correctly for the bottom or the trapezoidal sides. But the values of these areas don't matter since the flux is zero due to the orientation of these faces.

I think I finally got it. The flux entering a closed region is negative. The flux exiting a closed region is positive. The front,back, and bottom regions are zero because no flux is entering or exiting these regions. The sum of the entering and exiting fluxes is zero.
finally.jpg

Yes, that's it. Good.

Keep in mind that this is a special case where you have a uniform E field. When the field is nonuniform, the total flux through a closed surface could be zero or nonzero.

TSny said:
Yes, that's it. Good.

Keep in mind that this is a special case where you have a uniform E field. When the field is nonuniform, the total flux through a closed surface could be zero or nonzero.
I will. Thank you for all your help.

Just realized that you are dealing with a B field, not an E field. But the idea is the same.

Likes Vladi

1. How do you find the magnetic flux from a 3-dimensional shape?

To find the magnetic flux from a 3-dimensional shape, you must first determine the magnetic field strength at each point on the surface of the shape. Then, you can use the formula Φ = B⋅A⋅cosθ to calculate the magnetic flux, where B is the magnetic field strength, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the surface.

2. What is magnetic flux and why is it important?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total magnetic field passing through a given area. It is important because it helps us understand the strength and direction of magnetic fields, which play a crucial role in many physical processes such as electricity generation, motors, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).

3. Can you use Gauss's law for magnetic fields to find the magnetic flux from a 3-dimensional shape?

No, Gauss's law only applies to electric fields. To find the magnetic flux from a 3-dimensional shape, you must use the formula Φ = B⋅A⋅cosθ and calculate the magnetic field strength at each point on the surface of the shape.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the magnetic flux?

The shape of an object can affect the magnetic flux in several ways. For example, the larger the surface area of the object, the greater the magnetic flux will be. Additionally, the orientation of the object with respect to the magnetic field can also impact the magnetic flux.

5. What units is magnetic flux measured in?

Magnetic flux is typically measured in units of webers (Wb) or tesla meters squared (T⋅m²). However, other units such as maxwells (Mx) or gauss (G) may also be used.