When to use equal to or equivalent to?

• Thread starter Darth Frodo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equivalent
In summary, use \equiv for equations that are identically true and use = for equations that are conditionally true. Examples include (x + 1)^2 \equiv x^2 + 2x + 1 and sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) \equiv 1 for \forall x \in \mathbb{R}, and 2x + 1 = 5 only when x = 2.
Darth Frodo
When is it appropriate to use [itex]\equiv[/itex] as opposed to =?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
well, here are a couple of examples, although I don't know that it would ever be wrong to use = when you mean equivalent.

y = ax + b [this is an "assignment" which is typical for "="]

a + b == b + a [this is not an assignment but a statement of equivalence]

Darth Frodo said:
When is it appropriate to use [itex]\equiv[/itex] as opposed to =?
Use ##\equiv## for equations that are identically true, such as (x + 1)2 ##\equiv## x2 + 2x + 1 and sin2(x) + cos2(x) ##\equiv## 1. Each of these equations is true for any real x.

Use = for equations that are conditionally true, such as 2x + 1 = 5. This equation is true only for x = 2; i.e., only under certain conditions.

Likes 1 person
Oh ok. Thanks Mark & phinds! That really cleared it up!

The symbols "equal to" (=) and "equivalent to" (\equiv) have specific meanings in mathematics and science. In most cases, the symbol "=" is used to represent an exact numerical or algebraic equality, such as 2+2=4. On the other hand, the symbol "\equiv" is used to represent a broader concept of equivalence, where two expressions or quantities have the same value or meaning, but are not necessarily identical. For example, in chemistry, the equation H2O \equiv 2H + O represents the fact that water (\equiv) is composed of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom, but they are not exactly the same.

In general, it is appropriate to use "=" when discussing exact numerical or algebraic equalities, while "\equiv" should be used when discussing broader concepts of equivalence. However, it ultimately depends on the context and the specific mathematical or scientific concept being discussed. It is important to use the appropriate symbol to accurately convey the intended meaning and avoid confusion.

What does "equal to" mean in scientific terms?

In scientific terms, "equal to" means that two quantities or values are exactly the same in terms of size, amount, or value. This is typically denoted by the symbol "=".

What does "equivalent to" mean in scientific terms?

In scientific terms, "equivalent to" means that two quantities or values are interchangeable or have the same effect. This is typically denoted by the symbol "≡".

When should I use "equal to" in my scientific calculations?

You should use "equal to" when you want to express that two values are exactly the same, with no room for error or difference. This is important for precise calculations and measurements in scientific experiments.

When should I use "equivalent to" in my scientific calculations?

You should use "equivalent to" when you want to express that two values have the same effect or are interchangeable, but they may not be exactly the same in terms of size or value. This is useful when comparing different units or systems of measurement.

Can "equal to" and "equivalent to" be used interchangeably in scientific contexts?

No, "equal to" and "equivalent to" have different meanings in scientific terms and should not be used interchangeably. "Equal to" signifies an exact match, while "equivalent to" signifies an interchangeability or equal effect. It is important to use the correct term in order to accurately convey information in scientific contexts.